Through the rabbit hole

Walking through the woods, along the path with warm green trees on either side, the birds chirp while the wind blows through them, carrying the smell of fresh grass after an early morning rain.

The sun shines bright through the tree tops, lighting the way for you as you walk farther from the castle in search of a nice place for a picnic. Since the last time you have lent Ominis your eyes, it has been almost a week. The transformation has taken most of your energy and although you promised Atticus not to pursue it further, you have found out that the process of becoming an animagus is already finished. After a few more questions to Natty, she gives you some more tips on how to control yourself during the first few transformations, and how to regain glimpses of the memories you have lost during the transformations..

Still, you have not even figured out what you have transformed into and since Atticus keeps an eye on you when Ominis does not, there is not a single hiding spot to test it. Not even with Alec, or rather, especially not with Alec around. Atticus does not let him anywhere near you, and even Akira is careful not to say too much. However, when you have a question about the transformations, he slips you a paper in the library when Atticus is occupied with Alec, and even brings you a book to find out more.

Since the last incident, Ominis has insisted on knowing where you are whenever you leave his side, and as far as you have heard, even asked Atticus to keep an eye on you, and you do not blame him. Not knowing what has happened that night in the woods, you are grateful to have Ominis guard you when you cannot do so yourself. And although you remember to wear Atticus's coat most of the time, wandering out into the woods in the middle of the night does not give you the time to put on any more clothing than what is on your body.

Luckily you do not sleep undressed.

***

Three times, you have let Ominis see through your eyes, the second time walking through the castle and showing him the classrooms in which he has spent so much time. The third time, you have taken him outside, and through the green house. Even to the Quidditch field, but when the others suggested more practise you declined, considering poor Ominis would have to watch the entire thing from your perspective, and you do not know whether he has a fear of heights, or rather, falling.

***

Giant purple toads croak near you and when you turn, a giant shadow flies above. Walked off the trail and through some thicket, you look up to spot the giant black bird above you, but when you smile and want to wave at it, you slip on something and fall into a hole between some roots, sliding down a slope that brings you into a dim cave.

Struggling to come to a stand, you brush over your legs, so much mud and dirt stuck to them, it takes a moment to spot the gash on your right leg from where blood streams over your stockings to the ground.

A grunt comes out your mouth as you try to move, but cannot bend your leg without shooting pains causing you to wince. The hand in your satchel, the cork pops off the green bottle, a bitter liquid rushing down your throat as you gulp the Wiggenweld potion, watching if the leg changes, but the blood continues so you drink another and the replenishing potion as well, just in case.

The eyes closed, you let the goblin magic feed off your pain to nurture it and let you walk, at least far enough to figure out how to leave the cave. Your eyes turned to the hole you have fallen through, you do not find a way up, neither climbing, nor flying as the space around you does not even give enough room for a broom, let alone any other mount you may have in store.

Growls come your way when you head on, ducked as the tunnel you walk through becomes more narrow and lower the farther in you walk until you reach the point where you have to crawl to get through, but with the help of your magic, you can navigate through the tunnel to find another cave. Roots stick out the tunnel, scratching over your clothes, the cloak stuck in them, you tear on it, ripping through the sleeve to free yourself and move on, your stockings pulled down by thorns that slither over your skin, leaving scratches that begin to bleed.