Twenty-Two

Krist and Jeordie were sitting in Cami's car, sharing a blunt. Since there wasn't much preparation beyond changing into their suits, there was nothing they could do pre-wedding beyond waiting.

"You hear that the charges got dropped on Michael?" Krist asked his friend, breaking the silence.

Jeordie raised an eyebrow, "No way."

Krist hit the blunt and exhaled, "Yup. Fernando told me that. He ain't in custody no more either," he said, passing the blunt over.

"Wow. You sure they didn't move him to another facility?"

"Nah. Vinelink shows he served his sentence," Krist laughed. "All that dope and guns, and his rat ass is out of custody. What's that tell you?"

Jeordie passed the blunt back to Krist, "I'd never have thought of him to be the type to go snitching."

"Bro, you don't know that fool like I do. He's always been out him and him only. For real."

Cami rushed out of the house and over to the car, "Hey, can you two wrap it up? I need to go grab something at the store."

"What's the hurry?" Jeordie asked, annoyed she was interrupting their smoke session.

"Jillian got a run in her nylons and I need to go grab some clear nail polish," she told them.

"I can take Atira's car, and we can go get it," Krist offered, bored out of his mind.

"Just get out of my car," Cami told them, "I need to grab a couple of things, and I know you two idiots will either forget or grab the wrong stuff."

"Gee, thanks," Krist said sarcastically, "Nice to know where I stand with you."

Cami rolled her eyes, "Honey, you know I've always thought you were an idiot. I've only been saying it for years," she replied with a smirk.

"I didn't know you thought I was, though," Jeordie laughed.

"And I've also told you countless times that you, Jeordie, are an idiot as well. You both are."

"Rude!" He told his wife as he handed her the keys.

****

The two friends went back inside the house. "I heard you got a run in your nylons," Krist said to Jillian as he entered the living room.

She looked confused, "What?"

"Cami said she had to get clear nail polish because you got a run," Jeordie clarified.

Jillian tilted her head and thought for a moment. "Oh no... well, this is awkward," she told them, "I got my period unexpectedly, and she had to get me tampons. Sounds like she wasn't trying to embarrass me and came up with that."

"Nasty!" Krist grinned.

"Maybe next time, don't ask questions," she told him.

****

Cami returned with the goods, handing the bag to her, "You better take that now," she told her, impatient for the results.

Atira grabbed the pregnancy test and headed to the en suite bathroom. Her heart pounded. The last time she'd taken one of those was the unexpected pregnancy that had resulted in an abortion.

If it hadn't been the fact Krist's cologne had smelt putrid that morning, any other possible symptoms she was experiencing she'd chalked up to as PMS. The sore boobs, mild cramping. The bloating. The change of smell was the only thing she'd recognized as a possible early pregnancy symptom, as she'd experienced the same thing with her prior.