Forty

It was two in the morning when Krist's phone began to blow up. He had multiple missed calls from Kali, Jeordie, and Cami. As he was about to call Jeordie back, the phone rang again. Cami.

Atira sat up in bed, switching the lamp on, "What's wrong?" she whispered as Krist answered the phone.

"Krist? Hey, I know it's late, but I need to tell you something. Are you in a place where you can talk?"

The words that came out of Cami's mouth didn't register immediately. "Lainey passed away tonight. Madi said it was an overdose and that your. brother did CPR on her for over an hour. There was nothing else they could do."

Krist couldn't even find the words to respond. He'd just fucking talked to her maybe seven, eight, hours ago? Fuck man, he should have told her something different. He should have said he loved her. He was a prick to her when she needed him. He handed Atira the phone, climbed out of bed, and locked himself in the bathroom. He didn't want Atira to see him cry.

"Cami? Hey, it's Atira. What happened?"

Cami sighed heavily, "Lainey passed away this evening."

Atira's heart dropped, "Krist told me she called him crying this evening," her voice dropped to a hushed whisper, "Was it...?"

"From what I've heard, it was a fentanyl overdose. I'm not sure if it was accidental or....I don't know much other than Brad did CPR on her and couldn't get her back. They didn't have any Narcan...I don't know," Cami sniffled, "Kali said. Brad tried to call Krist, but it kept going to voicemail."

"Krist blocked his number tonight. That's how Lainey was able to call, I guess....That's so sad, she was so young."

"It is sad, but unfortunately, it wasn't unexpected...do me a favor and keep an eye on Krist. He's going to have a hard time dealing with what happened. And don't take anything personally; he loves you, but Lainey was a major part of his life back then."

Atira nodded, even though Cami couldn't see her. "I understand."

"I'm going to let you guys go. Take care of yourself and that baby."

"Goodnight, Cami."

Atira set Krist's phone down, went to the bathroom door, and lightly rapped. She could hear Krist softly crying. Her heart ached to know there wasn't anything she could do to ease his pain.

"Hey, Krist? Babe, can I come in?" She asked gently.

Atira could hear him cough and sniffle, followed by the door opening. His eyes were red, and his face blotchy, "Baby, I'm sorry," he apologized, avoiding her gaze, "I just...I can't help it."

She wiped the tears off his cheek, "Hon, don't apologize. You're not doing anything wrong. Do you want to go sit outside for a few minutes?"

He nodded, returning to their bedroom to grab his hoodie and one of the pre-rolls he'd purchased after speaking to Lainey.

Atira followed him out to the balcony, sitting beside him. Krist smoked his joint without speaking, occasionally sniffling or wiping his tears away.

"I feel...like..." he began, "I feel like she called me for help and I didn't.... I was a fucking prick to her when she called."

Atira reached for Krist's hand, clasping it in both of hers, "Sweetheart, you had no idea this was going to happen."

"I should have, though. I should have at least been decent to her, you know?"

"I'm sure you weren't mean to her. You've told her so many times you're in a relationship and that she and her drug use don't fit in with your life. Being firm and setting boundaries doesn't make you mean, honey." Atira told him gently.