Twenty-Five

"Ok, Bud," Krist told Rocco as the wedding celebration ended, "So Atira and I are gonna be away a few days. You'll be at Grandma and Grandpa's until we get back, that cool?"

Rocco nodded, hugging his Moxie robot to his chest, "Yeah, but are you going to get me a surprise?"

"Bro, of course," Krist told him, zipping up his son's jacket and straightening it.

The little boy's face lit up, "I want candy, too!"

"You got it, now be good for Grandma and Grandpa," Krist said, rising to his feet.

"Oh, he is always good," Linda smiled at her grandson and patted his head lovingly. She looked up at Krist, pulling him into an embrace, "I'm so proud of you guys," she gushed, then hugged Atira as well. "Welcome to the family, sweetheart."

"More like welcome to the shit show," Krist teased.

"Oh hush, we aren't even that bad," Linda laughed.

Krist helped his mom load Rocco and the many leftovers from the ceremony into her SUV, kissing Rocco on the head and hugging his mother and stepfather a final time before they drove off.

They loaded up their own belongings after doing a final sweep of the place to ensure everything was as they found it.

"I'm so glad to be going home," Atira exhaled as she slid into the driver's seat. "Don't get me wrong, it's been a perfect day, but I am ready to put on a big shirt and relax."

Atira had made it a habit of stealing his t-shirts and wearing them as pajamas. She could have pulled anything off, but there was something extra sexy to see her in one of his oversized white tees and panties.

"Sounds like a plan," he grinned.

****

The two took a long shower together when they came home, followed by a lazy lounge on the couch. Atira was dressed in one of Krist's white shirts, black and white striped cheeky panties from Victoria's Secret, and hot pink knee-high socks. Kristi was shirtless, wearing grey sweatpants and white Nike crew socks.

Atira was leaned against his bare chest, his arm draped over her shoulder, hand resting on her belly. "You're gonna look sexy as fuck when you get a belly," he told her, planting a kiss on her bare face.

Atira glanced over at him, "You got some kind of pregnancy fetish?" she asked jokingly.

"Naw, baby, ain't even like that. I just like knowing that I did that, ya know? You're gonna be hella pregnant because of me," he grinned.

"You're a freak," she teased.

"But you know you love it," Krist said, smoothing down Atira's hair. "What made you realize something was up, that you might be pregnant?"

Atira clasped his hand in hers as she marveled at her wedding ring, "Today, as soon as I realized you smelt bad to me."

Krist leaned his head back against the sofa and groaned, "Fuck, for real?" Atira nodded, "You think I'm gonna smell nasty as hell to you the whole pregnancy?"

Atira snuggled in close, "It's not you, baby. It's your cologne that stunk to me. I hope it doesn't last forever because I love how you smell."

"Are you going to tell your mom about the baby?"

Atira flicked on the ten o'clock news, "I know I should, but I also feel like she is going to take it as an invitation back into my life. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that, or if I'll ever be."

Krist thought momentarily, "You think she would like being a grandma, though?"

"Gosh, I honestly don't even know," she said, thinking, "Maybe on like a superficial level but beyond that? I can't see it."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, like she will buy gifts and spoil them on a material level and post up these perfect pictures but not connect on an actual personal level," Atira clarified, a hint of sadness in her voice.

"That's how she was as a mom?" Krist asked.

Atira nodded, "Unfortunately. That was the good moments, mind you. When I was doing things the way she wanted them done. I'm just worried about exposing an innocent baby to that, you know?"

Krist nodded, "I can understand that. You don't think that she might want to be one of those super involved grandmas who see a grandbaby as, like, a makeup child?"

Atira chuckled, "I don't think so. She's not exactly a warm, loving woman."

Their conversation was interrupted by "breaking news tonight in Longview, Washington." The camera panned to a smoldering mobile home that was surrounded by yellow tape and multiple authorities.

Krist recognized the mobile home park immediately as where his dad lived. In fact, the trailer directly to the left of the burnt-down trailer was his Dad's.

"Holy shit, turned it up, baby. That's Michael's trailer," he exclaimed. The newswoman on-screen explained she was standing outside of a manufactured home that had been burnt to the ground. Two adult occupants had been found deceased inside. An investigation was underway as the cause of death appeared to be foul play.

Krist's jaw practically hung off its hinges. Michael was dead. Part of him did feel some sadness, but that was swept away when he thought of all the evil, selfish shit he'd done. Good riddance.

"Baby, I'm gonna go outside for a smoke," he told her, "I got to make a couple calls, too."

"Everything alright?" Atira wanted to know.

"Of course, I just wanted to tell a few people, if they didn't know already."

Atira pulled the grey Sherpa blanket from the back of the couch, half watching the news, half watching Krist through the sliding glass door.

****

"Bruh, you hear the news about Michael?" Krist blurted as soon Fernando picked up.

"Other than that, he a rat?" Fernando asked with a cackle.

"I just saw on the news his trailer got burnt down, and two bodies were in it," Krist informed him.

"Bout time someone took care of that fool," Fernando told him, laughing coldly. "His ass shoulda known better than to fuck around and find out, know what I'm saying, homie?"

Krist lit a blunt, "I gotchu," he replied, taking a long hit. "Well, Imma let you go. Thanks for coming out today. I appreciate that, bro."

"Anytime, dawg, get back to your fine ass Lil wife."

"Oh hey, bro," Krist stopped him, "Don't tell nobody, but my girl is pregnant. Just found out this afternoon." Krist spit off the balcony, hitting the blunt again.

"Shit, that's what's up—spreading your seed around. Congratulations, dawg," Fernando sounded genuinely happy for him.

"I appreciate it. Have a good night, homeboy." Krist ended the call, scrolling through Facebook as he smoked his blunt.

He pulled up the profile of Michael's ex/second baby momma, curious to see if she had written anything on her page.

She sure as hell did. Despite the fact this fucking predator of a "man" had best her, pimped her out, and preyed on her when she was barely fifteen, Athena had written a long heartfelt message about how Michael had been her one true love and now Mikey, her son, would be growing up without a father.

Krist felt sick to his stomach. He understood trauma bonds were very real, but good grief, the world was a better place without bottom feeders like Michael King in it.