Thirty-Seven

Brad took Madison down to the Pig'N Pancake to eat. He ordered the chicken fried steak. She ordered the Belgian waffle with strawberry topping.

"This is hella good," She gushed as she chewed a mouthful of food, "I need to start eating real food instead of friggin' jerky and gummy bears."

Brad cocked his head, "You know, just because you live in that motel doesn't mean you can't eat right," he lectured her.

She rolled her eyes in a child-like manner, "Ok, Dad," she grinned, taking a sip of water, "It's not even because I live in the motel. I legit just forget to eat, and Lainey literally never eats, so she's no help."

"Put an alarm in your phone to remind yourself, even if you're on a good run, eat something. Makes comedown less hard on you," he told her, slicing a piece of chicken fried steak, "I should know. I'm a doctor."

"Oh my god, yeah, right," she laughed.

Brad grinned, "I'm not even joking," he told her. "Well, not anymore, but that's what I was doing up until recently."

"No, you aren't," Madison argued.

Brad pulled out his wallet and passed her his work badge, "Check that out. You think I can afford that car living as a bum like my brother?" he scoffed.

She studied the badge, her eyes wide, "So what happened? Why aren't you a doctor anymore?"

He stuffed the badge back into his wallet, "Dope. Pissed dirty once and they put me on suspension until I went to rehab. I was going to go til I got locked up. Now I have to wait for the deferment shit to end before I can even try to get back into medicine."

"That's crappy. I can't believe you're a legit doctor. I mean, like, how'd you end up so smart when dumb-ass Krist can't even read or spell his own name?"

Brad grinned. It felt good to know someone was impressed by him, even if he was a complete fuck up at the time. "I'm hoping here, in a year or two, I can get back into it."

"Wow, can't believe I have a legit doctor taking me out on a date," she smiled.

Brad felt his cheeks redden, "I'm not a legit doctor while I'm dealing with this crap, but I will be again."

After they paid the bill, Brad took Madison back to her motel room. Lainey had been sitting out front smoking, looking like she was waiting for them. "Thanks for breakfast," she pouted.

"Get your own man," Madison teased, slipping her arm around Brad's slender waist.

Brad found himself genuinely smiling over her comment. He realized Madison was a girl who knew how to talk to men, and she certainly did a good job.

"How's your brother doing?" Lainey asked as she followed the couple to the elevator.

Madison sighed loudly, "Oh my gosh, shut up about him."

"I was just asking how he was doing?" Lainey protested.

"I barely even talk to him," Brad told her flatly, "I'll let you know the next time I do."

Lainey attempted to follow them into Madison's room but was cut off in the doorway, "Girl, no," Madison told her.

"Fucking weirdo," Madison laughed to Brad once they had closed the door. Brad pulled her close, letting his pelvis rest against his. Man, she was pretty as hell. "Soooo, doctor, do you actually like me, or do you just like my doggy style?" She teased.

Brad kissed her, "Can I say both?"

"That's the only right answer," she grinned.

****