Sixty-Five

"Why is Fernando's car in the garage?" Nina asked as she walked into the living room the Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

"Tio said he had to do some work to it," Lisette told her, glancing up from the novel she was reading. Not even eight years old and the little girl was reading three to four hundred page books regularly.

Nina had been concerned that the content Lisette may have not been exactly the most child-appropriate, Marisol pointing out anything she could find at the public library couldn't be any worse than the things she'd seen firsthand while living with her birth mother. She had a point sadly.

"What are you reading?" Nina asked tousling Lisette's thick black hair.

Lisette held her book up, Shabanu, was the title.

"I had to read that book in seventh grade," Nina commented, it wasn't something she felt a seven-year-old should have been reading, let alone even understanding. If Marisol said it was fine, she supposed she would have to accept that.

"It's so sad, Auntie, her parents are making her marry that guy," Lisette told her with wide eyes.

"That is sad, hon," Nina told her, brushing her long hair from her face.

"I was thinking we could go get you some school clothes later today," Nina suggested, "You can pick out whatever you like."

Lisette's dark eyes lit up, "Really? Anything?"

Nina laughed, "I mean, within reason. Obviously no Gucci or Louie Vuitton, but some Nikes or whatever you kids like should be fine."

"What's Louie Vuitton?" Lisette asked her, she definitely hadn't taken after Karla when it came to brands.

"A super duper expensive brand of clothes," Nina told her, "I'm gonna go change my clothes and then we can head out, ok?"

****

Nina changed into a jade green Juicy Couture tracksuit with a snug-fitting cami underneath, excited that they were in style again. She had one back in Middle School that she loved, a hand-me-down from Karla who had changed from tracksuits to basically sex worker clothes.

She ran a brush through her dark wavy hair,  threw it up in a messy bun, and put on some mascara and lip gloss. Feeling cute, took a couple of mirror selfies and posted them to Facebook.

"You got your shoes on, Lizzy?" Nina called to her niece.

"I'm ready!" She replied, running to the front door.

"Where are you taking her shopping?" Marisol asked, lugging a basket of clean clothes into the living room.

"I was thinking Vancouver Mall first and then maybe Cascade Station if we don't find anything good," Nina replied.

"Will you be back in time for dinner?"

Nina looked at Lisette, "I was thinking about grabbing something out there if that's alright?"

Marisol nodded, "Well, you know I always make enough for an entire army so plenty of leftovers in case you guys are still hungry later," she looked to the little girl, "You behave yourself and listen to your Auntie."

"I will," Lissette smiled sweetly.

Marisol looked at her younger sister, "I really appreciate you doing this for her."

Nina ran her fingers through Lissette's ponytail, "I don't mind, it's a team effort," she smiled.

****

The mall hadn't been the best choice to go on Labor Day, the weekend before school began. Parking had been next to impossible to find, even with malls dying out around the country, the Vancouver Mall appeared to be thriving.