Fifty-Seven

****

Nina had gotten hired on as a cashier at a local gas station near Marisol's home. It wasn't the best of areas but at least it was day shift and would help her make money as she waited to get back into college. She wasn't sure which line of work she would pursue but was leaning towards Early Education as she loved working with kids.

Fernando had come into her work a few times, kids in tow. She treated them to conchas and hot chocolate, Victor begging for candy.

"Your little fat ass done need no candy," Fernando would lecture him while buying himself a sack of gummy bears.

"Neither does your fat ass!" Victor had told him, getting the attention of a couple of older women who told Fernando they'd whoop that little boy's ass for talking to them like that.

"Trust me, he gone get it when we get home," Fernando told them, "Can't be whoopin' him on camera, ya know?"

The women laughed, nodding in agreement, "Sure can't be doin' it in public no mo' nowadays, them people is quick to report you to Child Protective Services," one of them told him.

The other one shook her head, "Mmhmm, that's why this new generation of kids act the way they be acting."

Fernando clicked his tongue, "Shit, you got that right, these new kids be soft as hell."

The women murmured in agreement, turning their attention to Fernando's younger two kids, Kataleya and Leilani.

"They're just the prettiest little things I've ever seen," they gushed.

Leilani who was six and significantly more outgoing than her little sister beamed, "I look like my momma," she announced proudly while Kataleya hid behind Fernando's leg, peeking out shyly.

Nina may have been biased but Fernando's girls were absolutely adorable. Angelina was a good mom who took a lot of pride in making sure her kids were clean and looked neat. The girls were dressed in matching brown corduroy overall dresses with white ruffled tops, white wool tights, and brown ankle boots with large buckles on the side. Both had their long black hair pulled into tight ponytails with large white bows.

Nina loved her older brother but for the life of her, couldn't understand why Angelina stayed. Yes, he was a good father and sweet to his wife when he was around but Fernando definitely put his family on the back burner, preferring the streets, drugs, and hoes over time at home.

Not to mention the fact, he was a complete dog with multiple side chicks and several other children that he didn't take care of. Angelina was aware of at least four other children Fernando had fathered. There were two with that stripper, Adriana, one with a white girl, and a fourth with a former friend of Angelina's. Those were just the kids that had DNA done. Two other kids were suspected to be his but the mothers had decided being a single parent was better than confirming that deadbeat was the father and also saving them the embarrassment of testing multiple men if he wasn't the father.

Fernando got around. That was something he had shared in common with dirtbag, Krist. Only Fernando was by far more charming and charismatic and somehow managed to convince all these women that it was alright he was married and they'd happily take their role as his second, third, and fourth. Fernando did not hide his player ways.

Krist, on the other hand, had been sneaky and secretive over the fact he was a sleazeball and when caught would cry or deny it. Somehow, Fernando's lack of fucks given made his behavior slightly more acceptable.

Either way, Fernando was not someone with the strongest of morals and it worried Nina that her nephew, Victor, looked up to his father as though he was the most amazing man on the planet. He knew his dad was cliqued up, sold drugs, was in and out of jail, and was proud of the fact.

Fernando had a way of talking about his wrongdoings in a way that seemed like his life was fun. Nina didn't doubt that to Fernando, it was fun, but that wasn't something a nine-year-old boy needed to hear. Nina knew that Angelina was constantly on her husband about either shutting up about his other life altogether or at the very minimum using it as a teaching experience to dissuade their son from following down the same path he had.

Of course, Fernando was Fernando and he ultimately did as he pleased, which meant continuously boasting about shit, no fucks given. He'd even posted a photo of Victor dressed like him with blue rags, throwing up signs. From what Nina heard, not only Angelina had laid into him but so did Marisol and their mother.

"You taking the kids to school?" Nina asked as handed Fernando a pack of grape Swishers.

"Yup, they momma got me on Daddy duty today," he laughed.

"You're on Daddy duty because you have to take them to school?" Nina asked somewhat amused.

"I got other shit I could to be doing," he grinned, gold teeth exposed.

Nina rolled her eyes, "And I'm sure not a single one of those things are good."

"You already know," he said, turning his attention to Victor who was holding up a bag of Takis, "Aye, you don't need that, c'mon."

Victor groaned, putting the chips back. "I never get anything."

"Then give your shit back to Nina, since your ass don't be getting nothing," Fernando scolded him.
Victor glared up at his dad, shooting him the same threatening look Fernando gave him. "I'm gonna drop these fools off at school and get to work."

Work. By work, he meant slanging dope or whatever shady shit was he up to.

"Marisol is making a big pot of posole tonight and you guys wanna swing by for dinner," Nina called to him as he headed to the door.

"I'll see what's up," he replied, nodding to a short, stocky Hispanic guy in as he opened the door.
She could smell his cologne as soon as he entered the store and it stank to high hell.

He smiled at her, and approached the counter dressed in gaudy Western Wear with tons of gold jewelry.

"Hey, Mami," he told her, giving her a sleazy smile, "Was that your husband?"

Instinctively, Nina recoiled, "No! That's my brother."

"Does that mean you are single?" he wanted to know, leaning against the counter.

Nina, caught off guard, said "Sort of? I mean, yes."

"You are so beautiful," he told her, pronouncing it "bootiful", "How is a woman like you...single?"

Nina cringed, "How can I help you?" She asked trying to change the subject.

He leaned over the counter, smiling at her, "You can let me take you out on a date."

"Aye foo, why you talking to my sister like that?" Fernando boomed, stepping up to him. Nina hadn't even noticed him come in.

The man turned around, Fernando acted as though he were going to lift the bottom of his shirt, implying he was packing. The man's eyes widened, he lifted his hands, "Sorry, I didn't realize she was your sister, I didn't mean no disrespect."

Fernando stared coldly at him, "Apologize."

"I-I-I'm sorry, miss, I wasn't trying to disrespect you."

Nina rolled her eyes at him, "What can I help you with?" She asked flatly.

"Just a pack of Marlboro reds and a lighter," he told her.

Nina scanned his cigarettes and the lighter, telling him his total. He paid, apologizing again to her and Fernando as he left the store. After he'd gotten in his gigantic Ford F-350 and pulled away, Nina burst into laughter.

"I thought he was gonna pee himself!" She giggled.

Fernando grinned, "Homie probably did."

"Nah, we woulda seen it in those white pants of his."

"You don't really have a...gun...on you do you?" Nina whispered.

Fernando laughed, "Don't be worrying about me and what I got," his face straightened, "Nah, not when I got the kids with me."

Nina relaxed a little, "You better get back out to your car, the kids out there."

"Yeah, doors locked though."