Seventy-Eight

Wednesday, October 25th

****

"Alright, we got everything?" Atira asked as she strapped Gabriel into his car seat.

Krist unzipped the diaper bag, double-checking the contents, "Looks like it," he told her, satisfied.

"Alright, let's go," she said cheerfully, lugging Gabriel to the front door.

Krist cut her off, taking the car seat from her hands and handing her the diaper bag. They were going to her six-week postpartum visit, Atira was eager to be cleared and get back on birth control.

"We should go to Super Taco Express after your appointment, the food there is bomb as hell," Krist told her.

"Ugh, yes. I haven't been there since high school and it was sooooo good then," Atira grinned.

Being in Kelso made Atira realize how much she had taken for granted about living in the actual city. Yes, there were restaurants in the Kelso-Longview area. All the fast food chains one could think of, tons of American-style diners, several Mexican spots, a few Chinese places but everything in town tasted the exact same and honestly got old fast.

Not to mention, the grocery stores. The closest Trader Joe's was over forty-five minutes away and Whole Foods was an hour away.

"Hey, did you know your little friend, Jillian, has been fucking with Fernando?" Krist asked, looking in the rearview mirror at his wife.

Atira, who was sitting in the back with Gabriel, looked beyond confused, "I'm sorry but what?!"

He laughed, nodding his head amused, "Yeah, he goes and visits her in Seattle now. He told me she bought him silk pajamas."

"No fucking way," she snorted, popping a binkie into Gabe's mouth, "When did you hear that?"

"God, a while ago. Back when we were still in the hospital with Gabe. She never said anything about him to you?"

"No! The only thing she had ever said was that he looked like trouble or something like that at the baby shower. Beyond that, nothing else."

Krist grinned, "Nothing at all?"

Atira shook her head, smiling down at her son, "No, nothing. I mean, Jillian is someone who never really talks about her private life as it is but she definitely never mentioned anything about Fernando."

"Bro, they legit got a motel room after she left the shower," Krist laughed.

"No way," Atira told him in disbelief.

"Bet."

Her mouth hung half open, "Are you sure Fernando isn't just pulling your leg?"

"Trust me, he's not. I went in the house while they were there and she's all leaned up close on him, all flirty and shit. When I walked in, she tried to act like nothing was up and he's like 'Oh it's just Krist'."

"That is so...bizarre."

Krist gave her a mischievous Rocco grin, "Dude, she fuckin' told him that he hoped that he didn't feel fetishized by her. What the hell does even mean?"

Atira cocked her head, smirking, "That she is messing with him because of...like...who he is?"

"Isn't that why anyone messes with anyone?"

"Well, like, she probably meant that he hoped she wasn't trying to fulfill some cholo, gangster fantasy or something."

Krist laughed, "She obviously is though."