Forty-Six

Krist sat on the balcony, packing a bowl. He felt guilty as hell for talking to Atira the way he had, especially while she was pregnant and emotional from the hormones. But goddamn, nothing like trying to accuse him of something he wasn't even trying to do. He loved Atira and always had been, to the point every girlfriend after him had been worried she would randomly appear.

He had zero intention of fucking up his marriage for one of his exes or any bitch. In fact, because he'd been such a dog in his past, he tried to be completely transparent with Atira, no secrets, no lies.

Fuck, dude, he felt hella bad. They'd never do much as argued, and for their first fight to be something dumb like that really sucked ass.

"Aye, dawg, me and Atira got into it today," he told Jeordie over Facetime after he'd taken a couple of hits of his weed.

"Sorry to hear that, bro, what about?"

Krist clicked his tongue against the back of his teeth, "She thinks I'm tryna get back with Nina or some shit," he muttered, spitting out the side of his mouth.

"Nina? Why would Nina even be on her radar like that?" Cami hollered in the background.

"Bro, do you ever just mind your own business?" he asked her.

"I'm literally sitting right here, Krist. Seriously though, how would that even come up? I thought Nina to a out in Nebraska?"

Krist set his phone down on the wire cafe table beside him, taking another hit and coughing. "She split with Fabian and is back up here."

"Krist, please tell me you aren't up to something shady," Cami said.

"Dude, all I did was tell her to stop being fucking rude to my kid when I dropped him off over at Marisol's. It's not like I went out of my way to fuckin' hit her up. She literally opened the door," Krist argued.

"Was Atira there?" Jeordie asked.

"No, but I fucking told her about it because I ain't got nothing to hide," Krist snapped.

"I think she needs to chill out then. You're being honest," Jeordie said, agreeing with Krist.

"I think he needs to just not talk to his exes," Cami said, "I agree Nina shouldn't be a bitch to Rocco, but there is legit no point in her being friendly with Krist."

"Bro, I must deal with her while she's living with Marisol."

"Krist, no, you do not. You can chose to avoid her. I think your being friendly with her is going to put you in a situation for you to pull your stupid shady shit. I thought you were smarter than that," Cami lectured him.

Krist clicked his tongue, "Bro, tell your wife to shut her fucking mouth," he told Jeordie.

"Really, Krist?"

"Babe," Jeordie said, trying to sound as though he were warning her, although everyone knew Cami didn't take orders from no man.

"I'm on Atira's side on this one," Cami informed him.

"Why does there have to be a side? I didn't even do anything wrong?" He argued.

"You are making your pregnant wife feel insecure because you, for whatever reason, feel the need to be friendly with your ex."

Krist rolled his eyes, "Y'all tripping," he told them, "Anyway, I'm gonna let y'all go."

****

Atira was still in bed, covers over her head as she cried quietly to herself. Krist had never spoken professionally, but he'd never actually talked to her the way he did that afternoon. She wasn't trying to offend him, nor was she trying to imply he was doing something wrong.