21 : Remember Me?

Elliott's POV

I knew that my father was good on his word of hurting Sterling when I bumped into Lexi after dinner. I didn't know if they were going to try to send me a message by hurting Sterling again since they started to follow us. I had to get away from them quickly not wanting to take the chance of my fear becoming true. But in the end I was the one that hurt her.

One week. That is the amount of time I have left before my father makes his move to end the Kane family. I could not let him hurt Sterling so I chose saving Sterling at her family's expense.

I have taken confidential files and information from all of the companies, Novak Technologies, Vanderbilt Enterprises, and Stark Securities. Information that will help with their downfalls. I hated how I felt the moment that I did it. A few months ago I would have been excited about reaching this point of the plan, but right now I only feel ashamed. I feel like a traitor.

A knock on my office door catches my attention. "Come in"

"Hey Elliott, I have the new files for the Harmen Project" Presley says as she walks in. She is a good boss and a really nice person. She is hands on on most of the top projects in her company. Always trying to help her employees. For her titles aren't important. I'm going to miss her.

"Thank you. I'll start working on them right away" I take the files from her hand.

"Everything okay Elliott?" Presley asks.

"Yeah, everything is fine" I put a fake smile on my face. I guess I did not do a good job at faking it. Presley takes a seat on one of the chairs in front of my desk.

"Now answer truthfully" she says.

"It's complicated"

"Well you are in the perfect relationship. This family has experienced a lot of complicated things. But we have gotten through them by having each other to lean on. We are use to complicated"

"Don't think this time any of you can help" I sigh with disappointment.

"I'm not going to force you to tell me anything. But once you are ready to talk about it or if you need help with anything, just know that this family is here for each other no matter what. And you are part of this family sorry" Presley shrugs with a smile before leaving my office.

My hands come to my face and my head falls into them as I lean over my desk. I am not only about to destroy the people who have welcomed me into their family, but who I have come to care about. They are nothing like what I have been told about them. They have shown me more love and care than my own father has for me.

Each day that passes and we get closer to the day I have spent all the time I could with Sterling. I know that when everything happens she will never forgive me. I will lose her.

Tonight I am going over to her house for a family game night. Apparently this only happens a couple of nights every few months because things get too competitive. This might also be the last time I get to spend some fun time with all of them together.

After work I stop by my apartment to change before heading to Sterling's. The drive is not far. I get waved past security quickly. They all know me by now and haven't stopped me for a while now. They are all nice guards as well. They are treated like family, which is another thing that made me fall for this family. A lot of them have been working with the Vanderbilt-Kanes since Sterling was a baby. I have never seen guards treated as if they were part of the family. I guess that's why they stay working with the family for so many years.

After being allowed in by Brooks we both head to the living room. I can hear the arguing a few feet away.

"No, that's cheating!" Stellan shouts at Sterling to my surprise. Stellan is normally very calm and quiet.