eighteen

Carter

"It feels so good to be back in an air conditioned house." Daniel groaned as he plopped down on Andrea's comfortable beige couch. "Plus, there isn't sand. God, I how annoying is sand?" He winked at Andrea, who stuck her tongue out.

"Come on, it wasn't that hot." Andrea hit him playfully on the shoulder, ruffling his hair as she walked by. I followed.

Jane was curled up on the smaller sofa, holding a cup of iced tea. I could feel her eyes following me as me and Andrea entered the kitchen. She flipped on the light switch and I winced at the bright lights. We had remained at the beach until past dark.

"So, we can just order Pizza or whatever you want." Andrea said as she put away dishes from the dishwasher. Her parents may never be home, but she still had chores. "The numbers to nearby Pizza places are in the cabinet by the cereal." She motioned over with her wet, soapy hands.

I laughed, walking over and pulling the cabinet open. I ended up pulling out piles of menu's.. There couldn't be this many Pizza places. I randomly picked one, called Pizza Rocks, and reached to the right of me to grab the house phone. I dialed the number and waited patiently.

"This is Pizza Rocks, how may I help you?" A light, cheery voice answered. I froze. I knew that light cheery voice. But how?

I hadn't realized that time had passed."Hello?" The girl said, sounding impatient and annoyed that she had received no reply.

"Oops!" I huffed. "I'm here." I cleared my throat hurriedly. "I'd like two medium sized pizza's to go, please. One plain, one with buffalo chicken. Plus a side of garlic knots, the ones that come with the huge Coke, you know? Thanks."

"Alright. Just give me your address and I'll be there in a sec." The voice was still light and cheery.

It suddenly clicked how I remembered the voice. Vivid memories of Jessica and some girl in the library went through my mind.

I told her my address. I could hear the pen scratching against paper on her end. I bit my lip nervously and blurted out before I could stop myself; "Jasey?"

"Huh," She murmured. I heard the pen stop. "That's my name. How do you know?"

Andrea was looking at me suspiciously, mouthing, "How long does it take to order a pizza?" I held a finger up to silence her.

"Listen, I know about you and Jessica. And - I just want to warn you. She isn't any good."

"I'm sorry?" Her voice was no longer friendly. It sounded cold. "Your pizza is on it's way. Thank you for ordering from Pizza Rocks." She hung up and a deadly silence filled my ears. I turned around, tossing the phone onto the counter as if nothing had just happened.

"Well? Was that Ariana working there?" Andrea joked as she dropped the last cup cup into the dishwasher and shut it. When she saw how white my face was, she frowned. "Who was it?"

"Well, I sort of didn't tell you or anyone besides Ariana about this." I looked down, playing with my fingers. "When we had our fight," I cringed thinking about the time period of when Andrea and Jane had been so cruel to me. "I went into the library and I saw Jessica talking to some girl. At first I thought she was just... joking around? I don't know. It made no sense and I couldn't believe it. But then they kissed, and I got photos." I finished as Andrea stared at me. "What?"

"It's ridiculous." Andrea grabbed the phone off the counter. "I'm calling back this Pizza Rocks place back and telling Jasey some information that she might find interesting." She was dialing the number at a speed that I could only assume meant she ordered pizza quite often from this place. I watched as she said hello and they exchanged greetings.