twenty-seven

NO POV

It was May 2nd, 2019. It had been two months since Carter Wells had done herself in, or in the more harsh way, killed herself.

Carter Wells ended it back in March, but her friends and family were so damaged by the act that they couldn't have the funeral until now. On this particular morning, the sun was shining and the day was beautiful.

"Come on. We're going to be late!" Ms. Wells snapped at her husband. She was going back and forth between the front door and the hallway. Her son and only child left, Jacob, stood outside by their car. They had destroyed Carter's old one, determined to get rid of the evidence. Of the memory. No one in the Wells family could even look at that car for more than a minute.

Everything was shiny and brand new around here. Including the house. They moved to a much smaller house, no need for any space because their children no longer lived there.

"I'm coming!" Mr. Wells yelled, and sure enough, his loud footsteps were heard as he hurried down the stairs, his hands on the banister. Ms. Wells sighed. Times like these were hard. Nobody had told her what it was like to lose a child. Sure, you could lose them in a store and panic for a while, but you would eventually find them. But this? Carter was gone. She was dead. This was it. No more.

"Mom?" Jacob called, his voice having a nervous edge to it. He too, was close to a breakdown. He blamed himself for part of her death - he had ignored her for a year after finding out she had been with his ex.

Ms. Wells took a deep breath and grabbed her husbands arm, hurrying to the car.

#

Ariana was sitting outside of the church, her eyes locked on her watch. It was only eleven, and the sun was much too bright, the church much too full.

She wore a dark green velvet dress, with a large black sweater covering it. She had thrown on random heels, that probably most likely did not match, and she barely put any effort into her make-up. Ariana didn't care how she looked today, if we were being honest. All she cared about was making it through the day, making it through the funeral...

A car pulled up in front of the church. It was small, nothing compared to the big van Carter had owned. She had loved that car, having bought it with her own money...

Jane parked and slid from the front side. Her and Ariana had learned to get along. They did in fact have lots in common, besides the shared love they had for Carter. It was that, that had brought them together.

"Hey." Jane said, her voice quiet. Careful. Why was she so determined to be gentle with Ariana now? Carter was gone. She was gone and never coming back. Jane couldn't protect her anymore.

Ariana stood up. "How are you?"

Jane cleared her throat, clearly uncomfortable with the idea of all of this. They both knew Carter would have never wanted a huge funeral with flowers she didn't even like. She liked sunflowers. That was the one flower she could look at forever. In Jane fashion, she held a single flower in her left hand.

"I'm fine. I don't want to be here, but she was my girlfriend."

Ariana nodded. Together they walked in, ready to face whatever was coming.

#

The funeral was finally coming to a close. The priest said nice things, although the words seemed common. Each and every person that had known Carter, or had taken time to have a conversation, spoke. Even Jessica had things to say, which upset both Ariana and Jane.

"I was a monster back in high school, destroying everything around me. Carter was part of my explosion, not once but twice. I hurt her mentally, and later on, physically. I'm disgusted by what I did. I want you to all know that I'm sorry. Carter, if you're up there, listening, know that I'm giving you all my apologies. Rest in peace."