seven

Carter

Ariana was lying down across from me. In my bed. My parents happened to be out for the night.

"So.." Ariana trailed off, her voice soft.

I was hit with the urge to grab her, to kiss every part of her that I could, to pull her close..

"We are alone," I acknowledged, watching her.

"Yes, we sure are." She winked and pulled herself on top of me. "I'm so glad they're out." Her smile was contagious, but suddenly, I wasn't feeling it.

"I'm sorry." I whispered as I pushed her away, sitting up. "I don't feel like it. I'm too worried and anxious at the moment. I'm sorry." I sighed and put my head in my hands.

"That's okay." She sounded concerned. "What's wrong, baby?" The word baby hit me, and I looked over at her. Her eyes widened as she saw mine glaring at her. "What? What did I do?"

"Nothing." I responded. "That's it. You didn't do anything. Okay. I'm just going to say it. Jane wants me to end things." I told her. "Between us. I don't know."

"Um. What?"

"Jane confronted me and was threatening to to tell Jacob.... I just..." I was at a loss for words at the moment.

"Shhh." Ariana put a gentle hand over my mouth. "I don't want you to think I'm rushing you into anything. It's our world." She smiled at me once again and I tried not to smile back. "Don't let Jane get in between us, okay?"

As I leaned in for a kiss, the doorbell rang. I let out a stream of curse words so loudly that Ariana started to snort.

I flew myself down the stairs and to the door. I peeked through the small window on the door; it was Jane. She was completely obsessed and wanted to ruin my life, I concluded as I opened the door.

"What? What could you possibly want now?"

"We're having a sleepover. I know what you're doing." She squinted at me and I laughed.

"Okay. What exactly am I doing?" I queried.

"You're trying to have sex with her! Do you think I'm stupid? It's inappropriate! You're not even eighteen yet, and she's twenty four! Plus, you made me a promise." She stalked passed me and dropped her bag onto the couch.

"Excuse me?" I hissed. "That promise was broken once Ariana told my brother. He knows the truth. You're just jealous," I was facing her now and her expression was full of fury.

"So what?" She avoided admitting her jealousy. "I'm not allowing this." She crossed her arms tightly and I took a step closer. I had the perfect plan.

"You're," I paused, my eyes twinkling as I wiggled my fingers in her face. "jealous." I smiled and suddenly I was against her. She held me tightly in an incredibly tight hug, then shoved me away. I looked at her, confused.

"I hate you." She muttered as she grabbed her bags and stomped out. I felt my mouth twitch and I tried to stop the smile; I had no reason to smile, not after all the things I had gone through with Jane. I turned away and walked up the stairs to my bedroom.

Ariana was staring at my phone.

"It's been ringing," She said as soon as I walked in, glancing over at me. I looked at her blankly. "Andrea keeps calling you, and it wouldn't let me answer since you have a passcode." She gave me a stern look and I laughed as she tossed me my phone.

I unlocked it and clicked missed calls. The phone rang for merely a second before Andrea answered. Her voice sounded urgent and terrified.

"Carter! You have to come here. Now! I'm at Adrian Micfiller's party, and you won't believe who is here.." Her voice drifted off but I could tell she wasn't drunk. I sighed.