twenty-four

Carter

After rejoining the wedding party and doing my part, Ariana and I had finally sat down and ate some food. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Jessica talking to Jane. My facial expression began to turn crimson, rage pounding through me.

"I can't believe this. I'm sorry," I turned to tell Ariana. I could tell she had been watching them too, by the look in her eyes. "But ... I have to say something. This cannot be happening."

I got up, nearly crashing into the few people that stood in my way. "Excuse me!" I yelled angrily, shoving one of them aside. That someone groaned and rubbed their hip, where I had hit them. "Oops." I said, but then in horror, I realized it was Jasey. "Oh my God. What-?"

"Stop! Stop, don't!" Jasey went to place a hand over my mouth to quiet me, but stopped herself just in time. "I'm here because I'm someone's plus one. I won't cause any trouble, I swear."

"Look, Jasey, whatever the reason you're here, you shouldn't be. Ariana and I are together and you'll just.." I drifted off, assuming that she would fill in the blank.

"I'll what? Ruin it? Get in the way?" Jasey smiled slightly, teasing. My face must have been hard because she stopped smiling. "I won't get in your way," she added. "I don't do that anymore."

I nodded, not believing this. I pushed her aside anyway. My eyes were set on Jane. Jessica now saw me coming and began talking rapidly to Jane, her lips moving at an incredible speed while her eyes remained on me. She was inching away as I crept closer but I spoke up when I was a foot away. "Nope! Stay right there."

Jessica froze. "Carter, can we not do this here?"

"You just tried to have sex with me. In that garden shed, at this wedding. What do you mean 'can we not do this here'?" I hissed loudly.

"So?" Jessica challenged.

"So?" I stared at Jane, but she wouldn't look back at me. "Jane? What, do you not believe this?"

"I do.. It's just, I'm starting to get along with Jessica. People make mistakes, don't they? You seem to forgive everyone for theirs, so why can't I?" Jane's eyes narrowed, past me, to where Ariana was standing. I turned my head around along with them, noticing her. Ariana had her lips pursed and her eyes were red, having heard every word.

"You little-" Ariana started up, stomping angrily towards them. I glanced around wildly, realizing that quite a few people were watching us. I held Ariana back, holding her close in my arms.

"Relax. It's fine, they're not worth it." I whispered into her ear as I sighed. "Jane, you make me sick. Almost getting raped and cheating are very different. You should know that."

Jane didn't say anything -instead, she and Jessica both glared and stepped away. I hurriedly lead Ariana to the familiar cherry blossom tree, with confused gazes on us. 
l
"What is going on?" I asked her, eyes wide in surprise. "You didn't need to come and defend me. I can handle myself."

Ariana looked down. "I don't think you can, Carter. When I left you, you tried to end your life. How is that holding it together? It really isn't.." I let out a deep breath, even more surprised that Ariana was bringing up things that happened nearly three years ago.

"I'm different now. You know that, right?" I cupped her face in my hands and our eyes met. "I love you. Always have, always will." I leaned in and kissed her lips. "Who's Jane?" I murmured from beneath her lips.

Ariana let out a slight giggle, holding me closely. I glanced around once more, checking to see if anyone was near us. We couldn't be seen.

"Where's your car?" I muttered as I kissed her neck.