thirteen

Carter

It was lunch now, and I was making a habit out of sitting alone. Temptation was eating at me: I just wanted to hide out in the library. I hated that place just as much as I did with the cafeteria, which said a lot.

The usual table I sat at was currently occupied by Jane and Andrea - I definitely wasn't about to go over there.

I chewed my sandwich slowly, wondering what Jessica had said to them that could have made them so angry. It must have been pretty believable.

I turned to peek at them, and to my surprise; Jane was staring at me. Our eyes met and she turned back to Andrea, whispering in her ear.

"Assholes." I muttered under my breath.

A chair beside me moved and I jumped, looking up. Lauren was looking down at me and that's when I realized Jessica hadn't gotten all of my "friends".

Lauren sat down beside me, brushing her hair away from her face. "I noticed that Jane and Andrea aren't with you. What's up with that?" She had a lunch tray filled with her own food, and she took a bite of the pizza.

"Just some drama. They think I spoke badly about them. It's stupid." I said. Lauren didn't seem all that surprised. Her eyebrows furrowed together and she looked down at her legs.

"Jessica started the rumor.." She was muttering under her breath, clearly oblivious that I could hear her. "She came up to me and said you called me a pig, and that I was disgusting." Lauren looked back at me now, smiling slightly. "I told Jessica to stop talking about herself that way, and walked off. I'm not going to believe a word she says, I'm not an idiot." She finished off her pizza while I remained silent.

I bit my lip, thankful for a person who believed in me, even if it was just Lauren.

"I guess Andrea and Jane aren't true friends. If they were, they would've asked me about it first." I looked sadly at the ground. Lauren put her hand around my shoulder, pulling me close. She patted my head.

"It's just Jessica's way of getting to your friends. She loves to ruin lives." She sighed, her eyes meeting mine. I pulled myself out of her grip and tossed my sandwich.

I stood up. "I'm going to the library." I turned away, rushing off to find some peace.

#

The library was pretty much empty, besides the usual people who stayed here to escape lunch. I checked the time; it was only a quarter to one. I had fifteen minutes to actually be alone, and not worry about seeing my fr- I stopped those thoughts. They weren't my friends. Not anymore. I continued telling myself that as I sat down, grabbing a book.

I flipped through it, completely unfocused. I heard two voices behind me, whispering. My curiosity got the better of me.

"I-I know. It's just...are you sure? This is pretty bad, Jessica." The voice was saying. I couldn't identify who it was, but the voice sounded like somebody I knew.

"I don't care. I want you, and nobody needs to know. I'm sorry this has to be a secret. But everyone thinks I'm straight..." Jessica drifted off, her voice making me itch. I felt an urge to fling my arm into the bookshelf and claw at her. "I'm so, so sorry, Jasey. It's just I used to be so against this and now I'm interested in you..."

I peeked through two books, and my mouth nearly dropped open.

Jessica was kissing a girl with short blonde hair. A girl. I pulled out my phone, keeping it on silent, and snapped a picture. I knew I finally had my hands on sweet revenge.

"I love you," Jessica whispered.

I had to hide my laughter. I couldn't believe this! Jessica had teased me for being into girls, but yet, she now liked them herself? Great logic. I finally let out a quiet snort and leaned back against the book-shelf, breathing heavily. Revenge was fun.

I pushed myself to read for the next ten minutes, reading about dogs and pets.

"Your lunch period is over." A voice said nearby. I jumped, seeing that it was Jane. She had off after lunch and helped out in the library.

I glanced around. No one else ws here. "I noticed, thanks." I attempted to push past her, but she stuck her foot out. I fell to the ground, my books spilling everywhere. I hurried to pick them up, not speaking.

"Ah.." Jane murmured. "On the floor, right where you belong."

I shoved my books into my bag. I was shaking with a feeling I had felt plenty of times, but this time it was uncontrollable. I started to walk away slowly, counting to ten.

"Liar." I heard Jane mutter. I whipped around; her back was turned. I dropped my bag onto the floor with a loud thump! and coughed.

"Excuse me?"

"Get out of here." Jane growled, tense. She had no reason to be tense.

"Say what you just said to my face, why don't you? Since you believe I said those things. Say it to my face." I snarled. The rage was pounding through me. All I saw was red as I crept closer, my right hand already in the shape of a fist.

"You're. A. Liar." Jane hissed through her clenched teeth.

I rolled my eyes, bringing back my hand as it made a loud smack against her cheek.

"That's all you can say?" I was in her face now. She cringed away, holding her reddened cheek. "Well you know who is really a liar? Jessica. But yet, you all chose to believe a girl who ruined your best friends life!" She flinched even more as I spit into her face.

I pulled myself together, walking away. I heard no footsteps. I felt myself began to cry and I knew I wouldn't make it. I found myself in front of the front door, shoving it open.

Needing fresh air.