twenty-two

Carter

It was now two years since that episode - 2019. I had gone to a hospital for a few weeks after, getting the help that I needed. I came out a month into senior year, which sucked.

I got to spend my senior year with Andrea and Jane, having the time of my life. Graduation was amazing and the past year of freedom has been just as amazing.

"So? What is it like? Being out of high school?" Andrea joked, shoving me playfully and taking me from my memories. "Finally, am I right?" My eyes rolled as I looked through the crowd of people across the street from us.

"I can't believe Lauren is back and didn't even say hello." My eyes narrowed at the book store, where authors occasionally met their fans. "When did she even become a writer? We just left school."

"She's always liked to write." Jane's voice surprised the two of us. "Whoops." She chuckled, kissing my cheek. Her hands squeezed my shoulders as she pulled a chair out beside me and glanced at Andrea. "So? Is this what we do when we get together? Gossip?"

Andrea rolled her eyes and punched Jane's shoulder. "There isn't much to gossip about anymore." Her eyes wandered to me and moved just as fast away.

"No, no. I get it. I was the towns gossip, the biggest lesbian around. Plus I dated my brothers ex. Not to mention he's getting remarried now. Let's not forget how well we all handled that drama." I looked back at the bookstore, and was surprised too see Lauren in the window, staring at us. She wore a long black dress with heels, her hair tied up. She gave the impression of a witch. I frowned.

"Hey, hey." Jane poked me. "Ignore her."

I laughed, taking a sip of my coffee.

It was easier said than done.

As they both stared at me, I tried to smile. Today was the second anniversary of my suicide attempt. The day it all went wrong. Or maybe right, if you thought like these two did.

Exactly two years had passed since I last laid eyes on Ariana. There had been no phone calls, no texts sent, no last goodbye. Just that afternoon in the hospital as my final memory of her.

"You okay?" Jane's voice brought me back. I blinked. Once Ariana was out of the picture, Jane easily moved in. She had always been there, anyway.

"Yeah." I shook my head. "Yes." My lips turned up into a smile as my eyes met her beautiful green ones. I could get lost in her eyes nearly as easily as I had done with Ariana.

Andrea was watching me like a hawk, so I took another quick sip from my coffee. "I'm good."

Andrea just nodded. "Do you want to see Lauren's book? I'm sure it's.., well. Deep." Andrea shot me a look, holding back her laughter.

"Sure." I pushed myself away and stood up and stretched before tossing my cup into the garbage. Jane and Andrea's footsteps followed from behind me as I walked towards the bookstore. Green balloons decorated the entire entrance.

"Never gets old," Jane whispered, against my neck, her hand finding mine and holding it tight. I had deja vu of the party so long ago...

We soon split up, walking to different sections of the store to find a book.

As I turned a corner, Lauren came into view. For a moment, I saw a flash of the guy I had hooked up with so long ago. I blinked and took a step forwards; there was no way she'd see me. Twenty other people stood in line, waiting for their books to be signed.