seventeen

Carter

"Black or green?" Jane groaned, holding up a bathing suit. "Wait!" She shrieked. "What about pink?" She laughed and posed, holding the other swimsuit in front of her.

"Green. It compliments your hair." I smiled and her eyes met mine. I turned away, pretending I didn't notice. I felt myself blush out of awkwardness.

"Now you need to wear orange, I just see it." Andrea said, coming out of the racks, holding a bathing suit in her hand. She paused. "Am I interrupting-"

"No!" Me and Jane both said at the same time. I glared at her.

"Okay, okay! Calm down you two." Andrea laughed, tossing me the orange swimsuit. I looked down at it and I had to admire the pretty sunset orange. "Now, I'm going to wear this blue one... just because it's so adorable. No other reason. I should be a model, I mean. Look at me." Andrea posed and winked.

I rolled my eyes, shoving her aside as we got into the dressing rooms. I heard both Jane and Andrea shuffling around as they changed. Suddenly my door clicked as if it was being unlocked and I froze - my shirt was off, along with my bra.

A beautiful face peeked in and I felt relief wash over me as she shut the door behind her, coming towards me and pushing me against the wall.

"Hi." Ariana whispered, pulling away.

"What are you doing here?" I hit her gently. "You scared the living shït out of me!"

Ariana grinned. "I knew you guys were heading out to the pool, so I came to make a slight adjustment. Andrea called me." She brushed my hair behind my ear, kissing down until she reached my collarbone. "I was thinking we'd go to the beach instead."

I could barely think; Ariana and her kisses were distracting. The feeling of her this close to me, where I could breathe in her amazing honey scent...

"Oh, yeah?" I replied, not at all focused on the conversation.

She pulled away from me completely. "Idiot." She laughed. "We could have a picnic and hang out. The beach nearby my house." She added, emphasizing 'my'.

"Sure. I'll bring the idea by Jane. And are you sure Andrea's cool with it?"

"Of course! She's the one who called me." Ariana rolled her eyes.

I ignore the eye-roll and began kissing her neck. She pulled my face into her hands and kissed me my lips gently. I could feel her smiling.

"Alright. Try on your bathing suit and then meet me outside." I nodded, listening to the directions.

Ariana winked and opened the door, careful not to let anybody get a peek in and see me.

#

Andrea clapped her hands together and gently put the large bag filled with sandwiches, chips and goodies, into the car. We were actually going on a picnic. I laughed.

She was the one who introduced the idea of a picnic to Ariana. She had gotten her number from my phone, which felt like an intrusion. But she was helping me out so who cares?

"Okay! Who's ready for this?" Andrea now grinned at Daniel, Jane and I, waiting for one of us to speak. "Come on." She pouted at the look Jane. "It's the beach!" She added for emphasis.

I heard someone walking towards us and I turned around, my eyes on Ariana. Her blonde hair was in a bun and she was wearing a tank top and shorts. She held a bag that was full of towels and sunscreen.

Jane took one look at Ariana and hopped into the big van that Daniel had borrowed from his father. Although I had warned Jane it was Ariana's idea, she still avoided her.

Meanwhile, Ariana was smiling at me as she pecked me on the lips. Together, we climbed into the van.

"Alright Ariana, give me the directions." Andrea started up the car and jumped a little when it revved up. "Dammit! This car is loud." She shot Daniel an angry look and he smirked.

"Okay, take a right as soon as you get out. Then go straight for a couple of miles and I'll tell you when to turn right again." She looked down at her cell phone, which had a photo of a map on it. I snickered.

Andrea was silent as she drove, eyes on the road. I saw Daniel play with her hair a couple of times and I hid my smile. They were pretty adorable, I couldn't lie.

"So, hows your job going?" Ariana asked awkwardly.

Jane looked up, surprised. "Fine."

Wanting to avoid another awkward moment, I asked Ariana about her upcoming big college exam before school began again.

This caught Jane's interest. "College exams? What do you study?"

Ariana shrugged, waving her hand and placing the other hand on my thigh. "I'm interested in beauty. I like photography and art, so I'm studying both. I guess I'm just attracted to beautiful things." She glanced at me, her mouth twitching. I smiled at her, then looked at Jane.

"That's cool." She muttered, turning away to face the window. I sighed. Would Jane ever get over the fact that I was dating Ariana? I hoped so.

#

"Okay, seriously? The sand is in my sandwich! I am tired of sand!" Andrea wailed, falling over Daniel. "So gross!" She continued to whine.

"Well, you could've washed your hands off with water before you ate." Daniel responded, trying to keep his expression flat.

"Yeah? Maybe I did! You wouldn't know."

I watched them bicker for a few more seconds, then glanced at Ariana. She was chewing on some potato chips, staring ahead. When she noticed my eyes on her, she shot me her award winning smile, changing everything for me in that moment.

"Sand gets everywhere. That's just what it does." I heard Daniel say, kissing Andrea's neck as she squealed.

"Woo! The water is nice out here, come on! Join me!" Jane yelled, running at us all with her wet body. She tackled me and I let out a shriek.

"That's freezing!" I yelped, shoving her off onto the sand. She grinned and I realized I was pinning her. I cleared my throat and pulled myself up, wiping my shorts.

"Yeah, I know. Now come join me! It's lonely out there." She glanced at the beautiful turquoise water, then back at me.

"Sure." I looked at Andrea for help, but she was already on her feet, her sandwich abandoned beside Daniel. "Let's go." I stared after her, Daniel and Jane, watching them run to the water.

I held a hand out for Ariana but she shook her head.

"No, no. You girls have fun." She was staring at the back of Jane with intense dislike and I froze.

"Look, Ariana-"

"It's fine. I get it." When she saw my face, she shook her head again. "I get it." She repeated.

I nodded, not sure I understood. I followed behind, my foot leaving footprints in the sand. I could see Jane and Andrea splashing wildly at each other while yelling.

I felt my lips turn up into a smile as I shouted, "Watch out! Here I come!"