nineteen

Carter

It was now morning and there still had been no sign of Andrea. Where had she gone?

Jane and I had been sitting at the kitchen table for the past six hours, waiting for a phone call that would most likely never come. Daniel had gone home while we were out at Francine's.

I twitched in my seat, growing more anxious by the minute.

"Carter. I'm sure she's fine." Jane was chewing on her fingernails, something she did when she was nervous. I shot her a look.

Her eyes flashed to the phone on the counter and then back to me every few minutes.

"She won't call. I know her. She's just gonna show up randomly. This reminds me of the beginning of high-school," I said, my voice sounding sad.

I could remember the constant stream of parties Andrea had brought me to, all including various amounts of alcohol and drugs. It was hard to forget these types of things. I had been only fourteen, terrified of losing my innocence. Andrea certainly hadn't been. I shuddered.

"We'll see." Jane face was a mirror of my own.

We both jumped as the phone rang, a shrill sound in my ears after all the silence that had been going on. We glanced at each other and I nodded, letting Jane dive to answer the phone. It would have been funny if the situation hadn't been so agonizing.

"Hello?" Jane's eyes sparkled, but went dim within seconds. "Seriously? I'm going to kick you across a football field as soon as I see you-" The person on the other line interrupted, talking fast. Jane let out an angry huff. "You're lucky you aren't here right now." She snapped.

"Who?-"

Jane held a hand up. "Keep an eye out for her, okay? She went missing earlier and- well yeah, she didn't exactly go missing but still." Jane's voice was getting whiny as it always did when she was annoyed. "Thanks." She slammed the phone down as she hung up and glared at me. "That was Daniel. He calls me and asks if I know where she is because they had some plans tomorrow. As if I would know."

"What do you m-"

Just then, the doorbell rang. Jane groaned and went to get up but I placed a hand on her shoulder, shoving her back into the chair. "Relax. I got it."

I dragged myself to the door, opening it with a sigh. I don't know what I was expecting. It was late, almost five in the morning.

My eyes widened as I took in the two people in the doorway, one held up by none other then Jasey. Her eyes narrowed and her arms clutched the lifeless looking body closer. I gasped and ushered Jasey in, reaching for Andrea.

"What the hell happened to you?" I hissed in her ear. Andrea just grunted in response.

"Let's just say she showed up outside my house, drunk as hell. She's lucky my parents didn't hear." Jasey sat down on the couch's edge as she watched me drop Andrea into a lying position. I heard shuffling and Jane appeared in the living room doorway, her eyes on Jasey.

"Hello." Jasey said politely, but clearly there was some kind of weird tension in the air. I would worry about that later.

Jane ignored her as her eyes rested on Andrea. She let out a shriek and hurried forwards, placing a hand against her cheek. "Out cold." Jane advanced on Jasey. "What did you do? Drug her?"

Jasey pulled herself up to her full height. She didn't seem like the type who stood her ground very often, so this was surprising. "I didn't do anything. She showed up outside of my house. She was the one drunk and screaming. She was trying to tell me off but fell asleep halfway through all her yelling."