twenty

Carter

"Are you sure this is the best idea? I mean, Jessica does hate your guts." Jane was pacing in front of Jasey's house.

"I don't care! Don't you get that? I'm sick of hiding from her." I snapped at her as I knocked on the door, feeling my legs tremble.

The door swung open. Jasey stood in a mint green cropped shirt and ripped jeans.

"Hey." My voice sounded odd.

"Hi. I forgot you were bringing .. guests." She laughed, stepping aside. Ariana gave her a dirty look as she walked by, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. I held back my nervous laughter.

"Of course. Open invitation, right?" I teased, but my smile immediately disappeared as Jessica came into view. She had on a tight red dress that fit her well and complimented her very own blonde hair. I felt the insecure part of me crawl up at the sight of her. I looked away quickly.

"How lovely." Jessica clicked her tongue, moving past us to whisper into Jasey's ear. Ariana and I exchanged a look as we headed into the kitchen.

"Where areth thes people?" Jane said as we arrived beside her, her mouth full of cheese and crackers. "Sorry." She swallowed. "Where are the people?" She repeated, wiping the side of her cheek.

"Is this some type of intimate party?" Ariana looked at me, putting her face into her hands. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Hm," I murmured. "I wouldn't put it past her to do that." The front door suddenly opened and people streamed in, some holding pizza boxes and some holding drinks. "Maybe not."  I breathed in relief. A few people glanced over at us. We must have looked beyond out of place. Even a few begin muttering under their breath as they saw me.

"Everything's happening outside, come on!" Jasey appeared beside me and tugged my hand hard, pulling me away from my own girlfriend, who looked angry. Jessica walked behind us, a smug look on her face. "We have barbecue, plain old snacks, and a water slide. I know, a water slide is for kids but hey! Why n-"

I placed a hand on her shoulder. "Jasey. I can find my way around."

"You most certainly can." Jessica mumbled under her breath. My eyes went to her and back to Ariana again. I could see Jane tense as she started to crack her knuckles threateningly.

"I know you're not trying to say-"

"Ladies! Calm down." A deep voice piped up from behind us. The voice sounded eerily familiar as I turned around, taking in the figure.

Daniel grinned at me. "Hey." He held a beer bottle in his left hand. I found this strange..

"Daniel?" I asked, grabbing the drink from his hand, surprised. "Are you drinking?"

Daniel waved his hand dismissively. "No, I'm just holding a beer for no reason! Actually, I don't know how to say this, but-"

"Carter? Seriously?" Andrea appeared beside him, her voice high and shrill. "I told you to stop messing with this stuff." She motioned around to Jessica and Jasey, who both had ugly looks on their faces.

I frowned, speaking back with sarcasm. "And you're supposed to be in bed, resting. Guess we both don't like to listen, huh?"

She blinked. "You shouldn't do this."

I stared at her. "What's that supposed to mean? Are you trying to control me now too?" The words just slipped out and I regretted them as soon as they were said. Andrea stared back at me, mouth hung open.

"I tried. That's all I'm going to say. Don't ask me for help tomorrow when you're screwed over. Again." Andrea turned away, walking back into the house. Daniel glanced at the five of us and shook his head sadly.