six

Carter

I was busy eating the waffle Jacob had just cooked. He was experimenting with the new waffle maker he had gotten a few months back as a birthday gift. He was gradually spending more time here than he was at his new apartment.

"So..." He cleared his throat. "Why is Jane back in town? Any reason?" He put some more mix into the maker and closed it, turning around to face me. "I know she wasn't that great of a friend, or girlfriend in general, but if she does hurt you again, I'll definitely have something to say to her." His eyes met mine and I knew he wasn't joking.

"I have no idea," I told him truthfully. My brain had still been processing what had happened the day before. "She's coming back to school. I think I may give her a chance." I lied. Surprisingly, it was becoming pretty easy to lie to him. How wrong.

I knew very well that Jane would never get a chance to be my friend. Never again. She has only been back two days and is already trying to sabotage my relationships with Ariana and my brother.

"That's good. Today is Friday so it's the last day. Good luck." He smiled as I dropped my dishes into the sink.

I forced myself to get off the chair and grabbed my bag, waving a quick goodbye to Jacob. I suddenly felt incredibly guilty about my actions.

I didn't have my own car yet, so I had other means of transportation. The bus came around the corner as I jogged down my driveway.

I stuck my headphones into my ears as I got on the bus, to block out everyone. I sat down quickly, getting comfy in the leathery seat. No one tried to sit beside me; they knew the rule. As the bus began to move, it lurched forward to a stop. Someone else climbed onto the bus. I let out a groan as they came into my range of sight: Jane was on my bus.

She saw me and hurried over, plopping down beside me. A hint of a smile was playing on her lips

"Get away!" I hissed at her as the bus lurched forward again, going to pick up the rest of the students. "I honestly hate you."

"It's okay cause I love you." She winked at me, laughing harder than before. Suddenly she sighed. "I decided that I want you to leave Ariana for me."

My head snapped up in shock. "What? For you?" I gasped, sure I had heard her completely wrong. With a  quick tug, both my headphones were out.

"Be mine again."

"No!" I swatted at her hand on my thigh. "Are you insane?" I stared at her, eyes wide. Was she joking? "You hurt me!" I informed her. "How could I ever-"

"Forgive me?" She finished for me. "You should, seeing how I know things that could really hurt you and your family."

I blinked. "Are you really threatening me? No, you know what? Nevermind. Do whatever you want. I'm not going to be your slave." I pushed past her and practically threw myself off of the bus. I spotted Andrea and made a beeline for her, quickly dragging her from the group of people she was surrounded by.

"Jane is out to get me." I moaned. Andrea's eyes widened as she took in this information. She already knew Jane was back, but I hadn't told her about Jane stopping by my house.

"How?" She sounded surprised.

"I don't know! She's angry that I have a girlfriend now and that I don't love her!" I cried.

"Wow." Andrea breathed. "Woooow. She's so annoying. How is it possible to be that annoying?"

"She knows about Ariana and she threatened to tell Jacob. Like, are you joking? But I am sort of scared." I admitted. "It's like sophomore year all over again. Being scared of that kind of stuff. Getting my secrets exposed." I turned, looking over at Jane. She was walking towards the school by herself. I turned back to Andrea and felt my jaw tighten as I looked up at her. She was busy staring at someone else, too. In the same direction, I might add.