nine

Carter

I had unknowingly found myself at my favorite place in this town. We had an abandoned beach, with beautiful clear waters. This beach had always remained empty since the day I moved here, over ten years ago.

Someone was approaching me at a fast pace and I breathed out a long, tired sigh. I has no desire to talk to another person right now. My heart was busy pounding from the run I had just took.

"Are you alright?" The person was Jane. I recognized the long thick black hair, and her green eyes were hidden beneath side bangs. I rolled my eyes.

"As if you care." I snapped, but noticing how her eyes softened as she looked at me, I spoke again. "Of course I am." I put my hands over my eyes as a shield to the harsh sunlight that was blocking my vision. She laughed and opened her umbrella to block it away.

She sat down beside me.

"I know you're not. Andrea called me. She thought I'd know where you went, and she was right. Always coming to me, huh?" Jane snickered and looked down to hide her smile. I rolled my eyes again.

"I'm just having some trouble. You and someone else like me, but I love Ariana. I don't want to ruin any friendships. And I can't be friends with someone who has interest in me, it's unfair to Ariana." I groaned.

"Who says we're even friends?" Jane said, surprised. "I'm here if you need me, but I know you hate me."

"I don't hate you, I hate the things you did to me." I muttered.

"I'll stop intervening with you and Ariana. I didn't know it would hurt you this much." She looked at me, and I looked back. This moment felt extremely odd, the air around us getting colder and colder. I saw how red her cheeks were..

"Thanks." Our eyes met. Jane titled her head, starting to lean in. My heart began to race as her lips became closer and closer. Our lips were about an inch away when someone yelled out at us.

"Hey! What the hell?" Ariana was a few feet away. "Bitch!" She spat, her hands thrown up in the air, her face contorted in rage. She disappeared back onto the sidewalk, running.

"You.... you set me up!" I hissed, noticed Jane had a phone in her hand, opened to her texts. "You texted Ariana and tried to kiss me. You're a liar and you've always have been!" I slapped her hard across the face with all my power.

Her face hardened as she stood up, reaching my height. "You deserved this. You always think you're the only one who gets to be hurt." She growled, grabbing my wrists tightly. I gasped and tried to pull away.

"Because I was!"

Jane laughed viciously.

"Oh, no!" She shouted in my face. "I did love you. But you never loved me. Do you not get that? It was never equal. You disgust me. You should've died." She snapped. I tensed in her arms at those words and she let go of me.

"Jerk. Now I do hate you. I take back every good thing I've ever said, including what I said two minutes ago. You're a piece of crap, Jane. I'm glad I got away from you." I turned my back on her and ran away, escaping my past, searching for my future.

#

"Please, Ariana! You have to understand! You're the only one who does!" I cried, hitting her apartment door repeatedly.

No response. I had been knocking for over an hour. She wouldn't budge.

"Fine. I'll go. This just proves you never trusted me, you liar." I yelled. "Just like Jane." I added, stomping away. I heard the door click open and I turned slowly back.

"I'm the liar?" Ariana stood in the doorway, the rage still clear on her face. She also had mascara running down her face. "You've been having an affair with her, don't even deny it. I saw it with my own eyes."

I stood my ground, surprised by her lie.

"No, I'm not! She framed me. Can't you just trust me? I've never even lied to you once, why aren't you choosing to believe me?" I cried, tears rolling down my cheeks. "I thought you did. I swear you did." I collapsed onto the ground, sobbing.

I was losing everything again. And myself in the process.

"I'm done." I heard Ariana mumble. I watched her walk back to the door, pausing with her hand on the doorknob. I wiped my eyes and pulled myself up, blinking at her. "I'm done." She repeated, her eyes looking down at me. "I loved you." She slammed the door.

"You didn't love me long." I muttered under my breath.

I could already feel them coming back. The thoughts, the ones that made me do bad things. The ones so long ago that had caused me to drive a razor deep into my skin.

I pushed myself forwards, walking to the car. I had taken my mom's. I opened the door and sped off, as fast as I could. I got home in less than ten minutes, breathing heavily as I forced myself up the front stairs.

I crawled into my bed and let the tears take over. I didn't move. There was no point in showing my face, ever again. I was done.