eight

Carter

It was now Monday morning and I was frantically picking through my closet, trying to find the best outfit. I couldn't figure out what to wear and Andrea would be here in a few minutes.

I picked up a polka dotted tank top, hoping for the best. I hopped into my jeans and slipped my feet into my favorite boots as I paused to looked in the mirror. I groaned.

Running across the hall to the bathroom, I quickly brushed my hair. The waviness it usually had quickly started to become frizzy. "Ugh!" I grabbed my hairspray and sprayed at it violently.

"Honey? Andrea's here." My mom paused, stopping in the bathroom doorway. I dropped the brush on the counter, running past her. I heard her lightly laugh.

My bag was on the stairs, which I grabbed as I jogged down them.

It was easier being physically prepared to see Jessica, but not mentally. I felt as if I was confronting my demons all over again.

I pulled myself down the rest of the stairs one by one, and pushed open the front door. "Bye mom, bye dad!"

Andrea's car was sitting by the curb; she sat inside it, texting. I coughed loudly and she jumped.

"Of course." Her eyes took in my frizzy hair and disgruntled expression. "Get in." She laughed as I walked to the other side of the truck and slid in, taking a deep breath.

"I'm nervous," I began. She put a hand on mine and squeezed it, holding it tightly as she backed away from the curb and started driving. "Thanks for driving me today. I don't need Jane and Jessica's drama."

"Anything for my best friend." She looked at at me in the mirror, an odd look gazing over her face. Instead of asking what was on her mind, I watched the sunrise as we drove to school.

As we pulled into the student parking lot, Andrea spoke again. "If Jessica lays a hand on you, I'll be there. I don't care if I have a class. Text me if you need me."

I sighed. Hopefully I wouldn't need her.

It was easy to spot Jessica. Disappointment hit me hard, as I came to the realization that she had not been lying about coming back.

I didn't even notice Andrea had parked until she was helping me out of the car. I let myself breathe as she shut the door and pulled me along. I gripped my book-bag tightly. I could hear lots of people whispering as I walked by.

"She's seriously back?" One girl hissed angrily. I glanced over at her. She had lots of make up on, expensive looking leggings and a bright pink sweater paired with them. As I looked her over, I felt a rush of affection for this stranger.

The girl had her eyes on Jessica. The few people that were around her were staring in the same direction. I stopped abruptly, causing Andrea to slam into me. Her eyebrows furrowed as I motioned towards the situation.

"I can't believe this. It's such bull crap." The girl growled. "Jessica!" She yelled.

Jessica turned around, her blonde hair waving behind her. Her eyes narrowed as she took me in, then glanced lazily at the girl. "Can I help you?" She acted as if she was talking to someone who was below her. Her nose wrinkled.

"You need to get out of here before I beat your ass. You destroy someones life and then expect everyone to welcome you back with open arms?" The girl dropped her bag onto the ground and people started to giggle. No one has ever confronted Jessica before.

"Ah," Andrea muttered.

"Are you kidding? I don't touch filth. I never did anything to Carter. She did it all to herself, that slut." Jessica laughed and her four best friends laughed with her.