Chapter 39

Mila's POV

I must have fallen asleep as I found myself waking a while later. When my eyes flickered open I looked to see Daniel. He was laid back on the bed and I was cuddled to him with my head laid on the pillow next to him, my arm over his waist and his arms were around me.

"Hey. How you feeling?" Daniel asked as his hand rubbed up and down my back gently.

"Better. I'm sorry for earlier. I think I've just been holding that in," I said to him.

"Please you don't need to apologise. I should have been here sooner so you could have let go and just do what you needed to do," he said.

"I must have scared Mum with my screaming," I said.

"She did pop her head in earlier. I told her it was fine and she saw you were sleeping so she left us to it,"

"I'm sorry for shutting you out when you came to the hospital,"

"You really don't need to apologise. It's all my fault. I should never have stormed out when you told me you were pregnant and I shouldn't have ignored you. I'm really sorry Mila,"

"There is just one thing that bothers me,"

"What's that?"

"I'm obviously hurting a lot... I don't know why part of me thinks you won't be,"

"I'm hurting too. The past few days I've been out of sorts. I've cried a few times and at times I've felt a little lost. We both lost our baby. I know I wasn't pleased when I found out about the baby but time gave me chance to think about how amazing our life could be with a baby,"

"You seem so together now,"

"It's because I know I need to be strong for you,"

"You don't need to be strong for me. Just be how you feel. That's what I need,"

"Ok. How have you been physically with the miscarriage?"

"I've been bleeding and having some stomach pains and cramps,"

"Has it been bad?"

"It's been ok. Nothing a hot water bottle hasn't helped with,"

"What did the Doctor say at the hospital?"

"This needs to process on its own. I need to do a pregnancy test in a few weeks. If it's positive I'll have to go back to the hospital. If it's negative then it's officially over,"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course,"

"You said you nearly kissed Michael. What happened?"

"I was upset. I was crying and he was wiping the tears away and I just found myself leaning in to him. I wasn't thinking. I just wanted some comfort. Someone to help with the pain. He pulled away from me before anything happened,"

"I'm not angry at either of you. I just wanted to know what happened. I'm sorry I left you alone. I should have been here for you. I should have left that race track Sunday night and come straight here,"

"I asked for space and you were respecting my wishes whether that was wrong or right,"

"I know but I left you to deal with this on your own. I shouldn't have done that. We're stronger together than we are apart,"

Daniel leant in and kissed my forehead softly. I moved my hand to touch his and I took my hand into his and intertwined our fingers.

I heard a knock at my bedroom door and saw my Mum pop her head round the door.