Chapter 6

Mateo wrapped his strong arm around the low of Eden's back, almost re-creating the same pose from Cedar's Eve. Eden followed suit, wrapping her arms around his neck. The two held each other's gaze.

In a moment, Eden broke the gaze by turning to the camera and flashing her million dollar smile. Each click of the camera perfectly captured their on-screen chemistry.

The photographer clapped his hands together in an ornate display of enthusiasm. He had gotten his perfect shot.

"THAT is what I'm talking about people! We got it!" The eccentric photographer exclaimed.

Eden let go of Mateo a big grin on her face. She felt a deep sense of joy from a job well done.

Audrey rushed on set to Eden's side, "Awesome job, Ma'am. Would you like me to call a driver, ma'am?"

"That's okay. I don't mind driving." Eden covered her mouth and yawned. It had been an early start to the day.

"Yes ma'am, I will have valet bring your car up." Audrey affirmed before rushing off.

Mateo, who was watching the entire interaction, chuckled. "Your assistant seems pretty efficient."

"She has her days." Eden yawned again. "Heading out?"

"Yeah, yeah! I was about to grab something to eat. Wanna join?"

Eden nodded her head, "What did you have in mind? Italian."

"I mean, we could have anything, my chef is amazing."

Eden's eyebrows scrunched, she was too tired to conceal her expressions. "You meant lunch at your house?"

"Well, yeah." Mateo shifted his weight from side to side. "I figured going out with a Diva like you might draw in too much press, you know? My place is private."

His words did not sit right in her stomach.

"I will pass this time. Thank you."

"Wait,wait, why?"

Eden held her gracious smile, the same one she often displayed before saying something cutting.

"Mateo, I'm not a little girl. If I want to eat Italian food, I should not have to go into your home to get it." Her hand made a sweeping motion out, towards the room. "And I remind you, we are coworkers. Now I will see you in New York, awfully bold this suggestion of yours was."

Eden turned and walked out, leaving behind a bewildered Mateo.

From the studio, she went back home.

There she took a shower, washing away the day and changed into a luxuriously soft, pink robe. As she walked back downstairs, she heard the doorbell ring.

Eden's eyes rolled.

She was primarily tired of Lyric Doll squatting in her home and secondarily tired of Lyric Doll losing her house key. It felt like a weekly occurrence where Eden was having to get her locks changed due to Lyric's negligence.

Annoyed, Eden swung open the front door, to her surprise it was not her little sister.

But a food delivery.

Eden brought it inside and ripped open the brown paper bag that was stapled shut. She then untied the white bag, to reveal a to-go container and a note. It read:

"From Mateo, because pretty girls should get to eat."

Eden put the note aside and opened up the container. Despite being a carry out meal, the penne ala vodka was presented beautifully. The inviting smell brought a small smile to her face.

It was not long before Lyric Doll entered the room, a look of curiosity written on her face.

"Why would you order and not tell me? Girl, I like to eat too!"

"Look who finally sobered up enough to come down stairs."Eden flamboyantly waved her fork like a wand. "I didn't order. I simply made the food appear."

"Well, make it appear for me too. I'm starving." Lyric pulled a fork out the drawer and made her way to the plate to begin helping herself.

Eden scooted the box over to allow Lyric Doll better access to the decadent pasta.

"Oh this is good! Where is this from?"

Eden shrugged, "Somewhere good, that much I do know."

Lyric Doll covered her mouth in shock, "Oh my gosh!...Eden! You lettin' these boys out here buy you food, aren't you!?"

"Aht aht, singular, not plural."

"Oh my gosh!" Lyric Doll jumped up in celebration, "You never let guys get you stuff. Who is he? It's that white boy from the housewarming party isn't it? I saw the way you were eye' him!"

"Would you calm down?"

"No! My sister is finally not being a prude! This is an answered prayer! Thank You, Jesus, that my sister is dating!"

"Sarah, don't play with the Lord's name."

"I'm not!"

"Mhm."

"Well tell me about him! After he whisked you away the other night, I've been just waiting to get the tea!"

"There is no tea at this moment. It wasn't even him who sent it."

"Girl, then who?"

"Mateo."

"Mateo Mateo?!" Lyric Doll's face first dropped, it turned into a look of profound surprise. "Like... Mateo Mateo."

"Mateo. Do you know multiple?"

"Oh! I mean, oh? I didn't even know he was your type? I thought you said no actors?!"

"And I maintain." Eden tilted her head. "While he seems different, I am still observing him. It is not like we are a couple or as if the rumors are true, I am simply eating food that he has sent."

"But even looks wise...He's your type? What is he, Dominican?!"

"What do you mean?" Eden snickered.

She began to tie her hair up, she would soon have to speak with her manager, Asher, it was time to begin mentally preparing. Eden continued, "You know I have never been known to be seen with a man who is not looking the part."

"I'm just surprised you are into him. That's all."

"Do you dislike him?" Eden asked with a genuine curiosity.

"He's weird, bro. And you know what they say about Dominican guys."

"Should you continue talking like that, you are bound to be canceled any day now." Eden then pulled her ringing phone out her pocket, "Oh, Sarah, this is Asher. I have to take this."

"Okay! I'll be...here!" Lyric Doll responded with a wavering, apprehensive voice.

Eden was too engrossed in the impending business call, she did not notice Lyric's anxious demeanor.

Lyric Doll's mind began to wander, racing with thought about Mateo, whom she only just met. To Lyric, this was the last kind of guy that her much respected older sister should be entangled with.

Leaning against the kitchen counter, Lyric Doll did not know whether to cry or laugh.

She began to pace. She heard the door to Eden's home office shut.

She paced some more.

Thinking, re-thinking.

It was too much to think about, Lyric Doll was already planning to go out with friends that night. She would drink until she couldn't think to remember the shame.