Chapter 12

"Dang, Edy. You got it like that?" Sam questioned with amazement as he stepped into Eden's foyer. His big brown eyes looked with awe at the crystal chandelier and adornments. "This is nice!"

"Thank you, Sam." Eden linked arms with her big brother, her heart swelled to see him. "I can't believe it has been four years. Why haven't you come to see me?"

"Not all of us can travel every week, Edy. Some of us have 9-5's and a mortgage and a wife to take care of." Sam teased, he then hugged Eden. "I'm proud of you, kid."

Eden exhaled the breath of fresh air that she never knew she was holding. She had been working so hard in the recent years, it was like water in an arid desert to hear that Sam was proud.

Something healing transpired as she heard those five words. Her brother Sam was a few years older, but Eden saw him more as the dad they never had.

On several occasions, Eden could recall Sam distracting their father as a way to give Eden and Sarah time to escape. Far too many times, the brave child sacrificed himself for the sake of his sisters.

Sam sat on the couch and exhaled. His face looked tired, as if he had aged.

Eden watched him as she made him a matcha latte, with extra love. And oatmilk, of course. She brought the warm mug to him and set it down.

"Thank you, Edy." Sam took a sip, savoring the flavors with closed eyes.

"When was the last time you took a day off?" Eden asked, concern pouring through.

"Christmas, maybe...Last year?"

"You look exhausted."

"Edy, you do too, you are working too much." Sam laughed, "Edy, I'm okay. I've been picking up some extra hours lately, that's all. Moni is due in a few weeks, so I'm just trying to get everything in order."

"Wait, what? Your wife is pregnant?! Oh my gosh, Sam! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"You know how superstitious Nigerians can be. After trying for so long, she wanted it to be a secret...So don't tell her I told you."

Eden covered her eyes, tears immediately began to well up and pour over. She felt moved with profound joy for her brother and his wife.

"Oh, Sam. That's so amazing, I could cry right now." Eden wiped her eyes.

"You've always been the big softie." Sam teased, giving her a hug. "So strict on the surface, right underneath it's always been a huge heart, that's My Edy."

"Oh goodness, I can't possibly put more stress on you with this Sarah foolishness. This is absurd."

"Well, what exactly is happening?"

"She's out of control, Sam. I thought if she was living with me it would be fine, but I think life out here made it so much worse. I can't in good conscience allow her to stay here anymore, but I also can't put that on you and your wife."

"Don't worry about me and Moni."

"No, no, no, no. How can I not worry? Sam, you're a human too. Plus, you are about to have a newborn."

"Me and Moni are fine, if Sarah needs to move back in, she needs to move back in."

"Let me buy you somewhere bigger. Maybe a home with an in-law unit so that–."

Sam's face dropped. "Don't suggest something like that again. I'm not letting you buy me a house."

"Sam."

"No. And, if you ask me again, I'm leaving."

"Okay. Okay, I will drop it, I'm sorry." Eden ran a stressed hand through her hair. "She doesn't listen to me like she listens to you, Sam. She is partying, drinking, bringing random guys over... I overestimated my impact, my capacity."

"That's okay, Edy." Sam put his arm around her, "You did your best."

Eden began to sob, crying bitterly into her hands, "Oh God, I've ruined her."

"This isn't about you, Edy. Sarah took mom's death the hardest, clearly there is something going on with her and that's okay. When we get back to Atlanta, I'll get her into therapy. It's going to be okay."

Eden sniffled and wiped her eyes, "Maybe I should move out there too."

"You hate Atlanta." Sam said with a small laugh. "Don't make any rash decisions. Your whole career is out here."

Eden sighed, conflicted.

From upstairs a sleepy and hung over Lyric Doll grumbled down the stairs. At the sight of her older brother, her eyes widened, knocking the residual drunkenness out of her cognition.

"SAM!"

"Sarah, come here." Sam stood up, opening his arms to give his youngest sister a hug.

Lyric Doll hugged him tightly, "You know, I don't go by that anymore. Now I'm—."

"You will always be Sarah." Sam interrupted firmly yet with kindness. "Sarah, it's time for you to come back home."

Sarah's face dropped, "Wait... Why? Is it because of the other night? Edy, I already said sorry. I really am."

Eden looked the other way, it broke her heart to see Sarah as distraught as she was.

"Sarah, it's time." Sam repeated.

"What about my friends? My career?"

"If they are really your friends, they will continue to be so. It's not healthy for you to live as you are, you are coming back home."

"Eden, please! Girl, come on!"

"Sarah." Sam shook his head, his tone calm and comforting. "This isn't an Eden thing. I am saying, it is time. I love you more than anything, I won't sit back and watch you undue yourself. Now, I need you to go upstairs and pack."

"It's going to take me hours." Sarah grumbled under her breath.

"That's okay. There is no rush."

Sarah shot Eden one last glare before going upstairs to pack. As wild as her behavior had been, Sarah knew it was a lost battle if Sam was involved.

Eden wiped away the bitter, silent tears that rolled down her cheeks. Sam placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "It's okay, Edy. I promise."

He continued, "Don't spend the weekend cooped up in here. I will fly back with Sarah."

"I mean... I am supposed to go out to Seattle with a friend tomorrow, I don't even want to anymore."

"A friend?"

"Yes...A friend." She sat up.

Sam smirked, "You mean that white boy paparazzi keeps catching you with? Or the Dominican one?"

"Oh my gosh, you too?!" Eden could not help but laugh. "Don't believe that mess."

"Edy, which one?"

"The white one." Eden cheekily smiled.

"When do I get to meet him?"

"That all depends on how he acts this weekend."

"Yup, that sounds like my sister." He teased with a cackle. "Always a pillar of strength. I hope he's treating you well."

"Very." Eden gushed, melting into the sofa. "I really like him, Sam."

"Bring him down to my house sometime! I don't bite."

"Maybe." Eden considered the possibility. "We've been talking for some time now, but don't see each other often due to our schedules."

"There's no rush. You know where to find me." Sam clasped his hands. "What we need to find is something to eat."

"Oh, I know just the place."

Despite Sarah's diminished mood, they all decided to explore a hidden gem—a quaint, private taco restaurant nestled in the heart of the city.

The aroma of sizzling meats and spices welcomed them as they entered, and the cozy atmosphere instantly felt like a culinary haven. Laughter echoed as they savored unique taco combinations, creating memories and reminiscing on memories of old.