Chapter Thirty-Five - I Will Always Be Here For You

They had been walking for so long, they had lost track of time. They were starting to feel the fatigue set in, but there was no time to stop. And as they walked, the younger children began to drag behind. "Mom, my feet hurt." Tsovey whined, trying to keep up with the rest of the group.

"Don't worry sweetheart, we will be stopping soon for some rest." Lìyìnuk reassured the young girl with a smile, as she reached out her hand. Tsovey just huffed in response, taking hold of the hand her mother had offered.

"How many days will it take us to get home mom?" Sakire asked softly.

Lìyìnuk chuckled at her daughter's expression. "About a week." Lìyìnuk confessed, using her free hand to take hold of Sakire's. "We will be alright, I promise." Lìyìnuk smiled. "The time will feel like it is flying by." She exclaimed. Sakire giggled before giving her mother a nod, and continued to follow her parents.

Meanwhile, Vialo and Chris were slowly falling behind the rest of the group. "Are you sure Matt will be alright?" Vialo asked nervously, looking directly into Chris's eyes. "I did not know he had a mate." Vialo confessed.

"I don't know." Chris sighed, uncertainty cloaked his face.

"I feel so bad for him...he really loves her." Vialo continued.

"Yeah." Chris exclaimed. "Before Lisa, Matt was very grumpy and dry. He didn't get along with anyone." Chris paused as a small grin grew on his face. "You can still see the remnants of who he was when he talks to Nick." Chris chuckled. "The way they bicker...they have always been like that." He added, looking over at Vialo.

"I can see that Nick does not like that dynamic." Vialo groaned. "I feel as though Nick longs for Matt to accept him." She added, returning Chris's gaze. "I do not understand why Nick seems almost desperate for Matt's acceptance, but there is always pain in his eyes when they fight." Vialo stated.

"Well, that's the thing." Chris continued, clearing his throat. "Matt does accept him...Matt always has. He has a weird way of showing his acceptance but he does." Chris reassured Vialo with a smile. "The problem is that Nick won't see it. He is stuck in the past...same as Matt and I." Chris confessed.

"What happened in the past?" Vialo questioned.

"Nick...had a rough childhood and when he joined the military, he thought of it as a new fresh start." Chris exclaimed. "But it wasn't. He was treated the same way he was back on earth, hell...he was treated even worse out here." Chris barked, irritation slowly filling his eyes. "Matt and I arrived a year after Nick, so he had to suffer all of that hostility on his own. Nick and I met because we were roommates. We got along right away. He was funny and kind." Chris laughed, remembering the fun they used to have.

"Why was Nick treated horribly? I do not understand why anyone would treat him poorly! He is an amazing guy." Vialo hissed in frustration. "That makes me angry." She admitted.

"It makes me angry too. Nick...likes guys." Chris confessed. Vialo looked at Chris for a moment in confusion. "Why are you looking at me like that?" Chris chuckled.

"Why would people treat him poorly for that?" Vialo groaned. "That is normal." She added.

"On earth, it's frowned upon." Chris stated.

"That is ridiculous." Vialo spat, rolling her eyes in irritation.

"It really is." Chris laughed. "But I accepted him right away. I didn't care. I viewed him like family, an older brother I could confide in." Chris exclaimed with a smile.

"That is sweet." Vialo giggled, as she looked forward, watching her family get further away.

"Yeah, I introduced Nick and Matt to each other pretty soon after that. Now, Matt is grumpy. He always has been, and Nick doesn't like that. He doesn't see the point in wasting all your time and energy towards being annoyed." Chris stated.