Chapter Sixty Three: Believe Me I Didn't Know

Parker said, "Imara, here comes the Ape King."

Now, that put a pep in my step. I felt giddy and almost ran to the door, but I composed myself and said, "Okay, thank you."

Instead of heading to the door, I had Gabriel open the front window shutters, and I sat on the bench inside the house, looking out at him.

As our eyes met, I couldn't help but smile. "Wilbard, what a delightful surprise; it has been days since I last seen you," I expressed, gently holding my cheek with my fingers.

He gazed at me for a few moments, then elegantly placed his hands behind his back. "Imara, I've returned."

"Ouhh, I like that," I remarked, sitting up on the bench and leaning out of the window. "That you've come back to me. For I've missed you since you have been away, my friend," I added, cutely shaking my head and offering a sweet smile.

Gasps filled the air, and it appeared his heart took flight as his jaw dropped, flushing a lovely shade.

I giggled. "So, now that you're back, what brings you to me?"

A wolf gave him a nudge to get him to register.

He closed his mouth, clearing his throat. "A-hem, hemmm! I've learned about the successful mission in rescuing your fellow clan female from a feral. I've brought provisions to assist in her recovery." He motioned towards some wolves, showcasing fruits, wheat, and rice for Bai Qingqing.

Bai Qingqing was surprised and hesitant to accept. "Ohhh, you really didn't have to. I-"

I reminded her, "Remember, it's a must, not an if; go ahead and accept the gift, sweetie."

She nodded and gracefully bowed towards the Ape King, expressing her gratitude. He appeared somewhat surprised, offering a small smile and nod in acknowledgment.

He looked at her softly. "You've been through a lot. You need more mates to protect you; I can offer you more males-"

Feeling a twinge of jealousy, I interjected, "How cruel of you, Wilbard! You brought her a gift, but what about me?" I pouted, huffing as I crossed my arms.

He glanced at me with a helpless look of guilt on his face, and even the wolves surrounding him seemed astonished, as if they couldn't believe they had committed such a mistake.

He said, "Imara, I wasn't thinking correctly. I can bring more-"

Playing into the sad role even more, I said, "Am I not in need too? Have I not lost everything and had to rebuild as well? Why don't you think of me too?"

I descended from the bench and walked outside to my small workstation in the backyard, with everyone following. There were baskets of goods I had set up to sell in the market.

"I've been thinking of you, and I've been working hard to contribute to your city with the things that I can provide."

He observed all the items in the baskets, surprised, and said, "You made all of this in such a short time? For the city and because of me?" Completely taken aback and confused.

I smiled with a touch of sadness and replied, "Yes, but I guess I'm not good enough for this city or to be your friend."

Gasps echoed from everyone -
Bai Qingqing, the guys, the guards, and the wolves. "Imara..." expressed concern.

Harvey reassured, "My love, don't say that."

Gabriel chimed in, "That's impossible, Imara. Everyone likes you; you're more than good enough."

I turned away, walking towards the house. "Just forget it; it was stupid of me."

Wilbard walked over, attempting to grab my hand and make me face him. "Imara, wait, don't-" Gabriel and Harvey growled simultaneously.