Chapter 26

Tobias POV 

Back to before Zeke goes up to him

Ugh! I can't believe this! I hate this!! So much!!! I came here only for Tris and I got chosen to be some stupid king of the prom, which is bad, and along with Lauren to be the damn freaking queen!! Of all the girls!!! which is even worse!!! I'm searching the crowd with desperation, trying to find Tris. I can't find her, where on earth is she??!!!! Then, Zeke comes up to me.

"Hey man, sorry this happenend. But I have to tell you, Tris is crushed!!" He says and a ache sweeps through my chest. "Look to your left, in the corridor, that's where your broken angel is." I avert my eyes and the sight is all I need to flatter me in reality. Tris is standing there wearing a pinkish dress, her hair is all done up and with just a small amount of make up to just enhance her features. My eyes are ready to pop out of my sockets and my jaw is on the floor. But what breaks my heart is that her face is heavily tear stained. Noticing this, Lauren puts her hand on my shoulder and I brush it off, agitated. This causes more tears to fall down her cute and blushing cheeks. She runs away, crying. look at Zeke, with desperation. He points to the principal, who's laughing with some teachers. I know what I need to do. I go up to him. 

"Sir, I don't want to be king." I say. "I turn the position down."

"Are you sure, Eaton?" He asks. 

"Absolutely." I say. 

"Very well then." He says and I feel like I could finally breathe. I run to Shauna. 

"Where is she?" I ask, on verge of hysterics. 

"I think she headed for the park behind the school." She says and I run.