Back to me

In the past few weeks, Dakota had spoken to no one from Seattle Grace. She refused to talk to Derek, Mark, and Elijah because she knew they would try to convince her to come back.

She refused to talk to any of the interns - for the most part - because she didn't want to hear any defense on Izzies side.

Alex and Cristina were the only ones she talked to. One, because they weren't stupid enough to try and convince her to come back or so much as mutter the blondes name in front of her. Two, Burke took off at the wedding and she wanted to be there for Cristina as best and as much as she could. And three, whether she liked it or not,  Alex was her best friend and she simply couldn't bring herself to ignore him.

Bailey had kinda forced Dakota to talk to her, just to give her the exam scores and to make sure she was okay.

And then, there was Addison, the redhead moved to LA to work with some old friends, but she called to Dakota to make sure she knew Sam and Naomi were offering her a position at Oceanside if she wanted it.

Dakota couldn't lie and say she didn't think about taking the job. But, the more she thought about it, the more she acknowledged that there were too many things keeping her in Seattle. She couldn't just leave.

Now, Dakota was sat in a random bar in Seattle feeling out of place as someone slid into the seat next to her.

"You're gonna love me"

Dakota looked over and raised her eyebrows "Yeah, why's that?"

"Because, your best friend-"

"Not my best friend"

"- got you a job"

Dakota's face lit up "At Mercy West?"

He nodded "Yup. You will have the honor of working alongside me."

"You, Jackson Avery, are a wonderful person" Dakota said clinking her glass with his.

Jackson Avery, a loveable cocky son of bitch, who Dakota had been friends with for years. They met in high school and became almost friends, but in college, they were practically attached at the hip.

The people on campus would never see one of them without the other. They helped push each other and keep the other going throughout the years.

Dakota helped Jackson deal with...familial issues. She got lucky when both Catherine and Harper took a liking to the girl.

Jackson was relieved because as long Dakota was around, she was able to take some of the heat off him. His mother and Grandfather were just always in a better mood when the youngest Shepherd was present.

When Dakota moved to New York, she and Jackson slowly fell out of touch. But, the fates brought them back together when the woman decided to try a new bar across the street from her apartment.

And just like that, it was like no time had passed and they were as close - if not closer - as they once were.

"Congratulations, DK, you're gonna be a doctor again."

***

Dakota nervously fiddled with the strap of her purse as it hung from her shoulder. A house that once felt so warm and comforting to her, now seemed so daunting.

She tapped her knuckles against the wood of the front door, smiling slightly when she heard a loud bark echo from inside.

The door swung open and the smile that had been gracing her face fell as her expression changed to one of guilt. She reached into her purse and pulled out a bottle.

"I got a job and the only person I could think of celebrating with was you"

Elijah looked down the girl as she gave him a small smile, the smile he had been missing for weeks. He sighed before opening the door wider and beckoning for her to come in.

Dakota stepped him, furrowing her brows as Elijah took the bottle from her hands.

"We will celebrate after you explain what happened and where you've been"

Dakota frowned "Nobody told you?"

"Told me what?"

***

"Okay...I definitely understand why you left, but why didn't you just talk to me. I haven't heard from you in weeks, Kota" Elijah says softly

Dakota smiles at him "And I'm sorry, I just...I didn't want anyone trying to convince me to come back. Richard got complaints from one person and tried to make me sign a contract. That's not the kind of place I want to work"

"Where are you going to be working?"

"Well, I was offered a job in LA with Addison..."

Elijah's face fell "You're moving to LA"

"No, I thought about it. But, I couldn't bring myself to take it. I'm going to be at Mercy West."

The man let out a sigh of relief "So, mercy west? How'd you score that?"

"A friend works there. He put in a good word for me" Dakota smiled

Elijah pursed his lips and nodded before clearing his throat "Have you told Derek? Or Mark?"

Dakota furrowed her brows at sudden shift in Elijah demeanor but brushed it off and shook her head "Nope, you're the first to know. I wanted to tell you first"

"I'm flattered"

"You should be" the brunette hummed "Hey, before I left you said you wanted to ask me a question."

"It's uh- it's not important." Elijah told her

"You sure? I'm in a really good mood right now, so whatever it is..." Dakota trailed off

Elijah paused for a moment, taking a second to think about her words before taking a deep breath "it's nothing, Ace. Right now, we should focus on celebrating your return to the surgical floor"

***

Dakota pushed through the doors of Mercy West hospital and couldn't help but smile. Hospital's were usually bad omens for people, but for Dakota...it was her safe haven, it was her home. And she was thrilled to be standing in a hospital again.

As Dakota glanced around, taking in her new surroundings. A girl with red hair and the brightest smile Dakota had ever seen popped up in front of her.

"Hi! I'm April Kepner. You must be Dakota"

Dakota gave the girl a smile and shook her extended hand "That's me."

"Jackson's told us a lot about you. I can show you around if you'd like" April offered

Dakota nodded "Uh, that'd be great. If you don't mind"

April shook her head, smiling never falling from her face "Not at all" she linked her arm through Dakotas "You're gonna love it here"

Dakota let her eyes wander before they landed back on the girl who was gently pulling her up the steps "I'm sure I will"