♔Part XXXVIII♔

( https://youtu.be/Dm7PzSDKuMI Wattpad's being a bitchy witch so I can't add videos or pictures right now but I found a link)

Okay I don't usually give dedications but I really gotta give this one to the lovely LiLuLee because she fUCKING MADE AN EDIT FIR THE SELECTION AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND IT'S MY WATTPAD HEADER RIGHT NOW BUT ITS KINDA CUT OFF BECAUSE I SUCK AT SIZING IT RIGHT BUT LOOK AT IT IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND SHE MADE A VIDEO MAKING ANOTHER EDIT AND BASICALLY I CRY.

But for real she's super super cool, and is a fantastic writer (you probably at least have First Steps in your library because of you don't yet honestly wyd) and is actually kind of a goddess that likes to torture me by sending just the right Troye gif on Twitter every during every conversation we have that'll just fuck me up and idindwijdwjidijwjidw

LILU THIS ONE'S FOR YOU.

The Ball

Tyler POV

Whoever made these desserts is a fucking genius, I think to myself as I take yet another bite of the coffee-flavored dessert resting on my lap - an Italian confection called tiramisu, from what the ornate label accompanying the platter said - releasing a small sigh as I distract myself with the food, instead of socializing with the rapidly arriving guests.

Of course, I was going to talk to them soon enough - I'd have to, seeing as I was technically one of the hosts - but at the very least, I could put off the introductions for now, alternatively keeping myself busy by visiting the many laid out tables, each presenting their own delicacies and morsels that I could never hope to replicate myself. They were just too good, done by an obviously a professional hand, and I had no doubts that whoever had made them had been working in the kitchens for years by now.

I wiped my thumb across my lips to clean the remains of the dessert off, glancing around to room to make sure no one was watching me, only to make the dreadful mistake of looking at my father.

As if sensing the attention thrown his way, he momentarily turned away from his conversation with Korey and Captain Deyes to lock eyes with me.

The effect of his look was immediate. Instantly, I tensed, freezing where I stood, as the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, an nerve-wracking chill running its way throughout my spine. I swallowed roughly, wanting nothing more than to cast my direction towards someone or something else, but I was simply unable to look away, my eyes glued to him as if he were a train driving into head-on collision.

His jaw twitched, but otherwise, his expression remained neutral. His gaze only lingered for a moment, before he mercifully looked away, regarding Korey and the Captain of the Guard once again.

Not wasting another second, I turned away myself, sighing quietly as an overwhelming relief washed over me.

This was the first time we'd seen each other since the night that I came out to him. Since then, I'd been able to successfully avoid my father, not having had to deal with confrontation just yet. After all, who knew what he'd do to me, if we were to come face-to-face once again in private? He might decide to throw his initial precautions out of the window, only to finish off the job that he'd never completed. He might reinforce the Selection, forcing me start eliminating more of the girls in the hopes of finishing the competition off sooner, in order to give me a wife before I could - in his eyes, at least - fuck everything up. Hell, he might even call off the whole fiasco entirely, just to choose the most convenient girl among the Selected to marry me.

In short, I had no idea what would happen the next time we saw each other. It was going to be intense and awful no matter the setting, but the least I could do was put it off as much as I could, busying myself with whatever distractions were available.