♔Part XLII♔

Oh good Wattpad changed up the keyboard I can italicizes and bolden words without having to go back and do it after this is one of the few updates I actually like (even though I still can't see the damned inline comments).

Tyler POV

"We need to decide which action to take now," my father was saying when the Officer's brought me to his chambers, hands braced against the edge of a table as he looked at several people in turn - Korey, my mother, and oddly enough, Queen Grace, among them.

Zoë was sitting in a chair off to the side of the room, hands bound and a look of impending doom written across her face.  I felt a swell of relief at the sight, knowing that for the time being, she was okay - well, as okay as she could be - and that no physical harm had come to her before I'd arrived.

Beside her, in a similar state, was Captain Deyes (maybe I should've been calling him Alfie now, seeing as there was no way he'd be keeping his job after this), his jaw clenched, as he awaited their sentence.  Seeing the dull look in his eyes, I swallowed roughly, a cruel familiarity rising in my throat as I noted how I'd seen the same look in the mirror thousands of times before.  A resigned look, that clearly stated that he knew their fate had been sealed.

And that it wasn't going to end well.

Officer White cleared his throat upon entering, catching my father's attention.  "We've brought him, Your Majesty."

The King looked up from what he was saying, spared one glance in my direction before nodding briefly in acknowledgement.  "Thank you," he said dismissively, already turning to look away.  "You're dismissed."

Officer White turned to leave without question, but to my surprise, Joe stayed rooted in his spot, determination etched in his stance.  "Sir?" he piped up, lifting his chin as my father turned back around, brow raised.  "Would it be alright if I stayed for the ruling?  Lady Zoella is my sister, and I'd like to be aware of what will happen to her."

I peered at the young Officer out of the corner of my eye, taken aback by the request.  It was a risky thing to ask, especially since being associated with someone who'd just committed treason was dangerous in itself, but he look anywhere close to backing down.  Instead, he faced the King of Illéa head on, indifferent to the poorly concealed shock on his sister's face, calmly waited for a response.

It was near suicide, but I had to give him credit.

My father merely sneered, lightly shaking his head.  "I wouldn't exactly consider your sister a Lady anymore, Officer Sugg," he remarked snidely, shooting a reproachful look at Zoë.  She didn't even flinch.  "As for your request, only the highest of officials are allowed, and seeing as you're only a Guard-"

"Actually," my mother cut in suddenly, before he could finish his refusal,"In light of recent events, it would seem that the Officer will have to be promoted."  Her eyes lingered on Alfie for a moment, before leveling her gaze at my father, clearly trying to communicate her point without having to spell it out.  "Because he was Mr. Deyes' second in command, he'll now have to take over his position, making him the new Captain of the Guard."

She turned to Joe then, standing up from her seat.  "What's your name?"

"Joseph Sugg."

"Do you, Joseph Sugg, possess the full responsibility and capability of taking on your former Captain's position as head of your Squad?" she asked, and it was only them that she was initiating the oath that the title required.  I'd seen Alfie perform it when it was his turn to take over the spot, but it was so long ago, and in a much more celebratory setting, that I didn't even recognize it.