Introduction

Based off of The Selection by Kiera Cass.

Tyler Oakley is the Prince of Illèa, a kingdom in a dystopian future, and is soon to be crowned King in his father's footsteps. In order for him to finally take his father's place, however, he needs a Queen to rule the nation with him. So, as per tradition, his parents announced the beginning of the Selection, a gathering of a young woman of age from every province to compete for Tyler's hand in marriage.

But here's the catch: Maybe Tyler doesn't want a Queen.

Troye Sivan Mellet is an orphaned servant, who's been working at the palace from a young age. He's tried to keep himself under the radar - you have to, when you're gay in a land with a homophobic royal family - but what happens when one day, the usual Apprentice for the Prince is out sick, and Troye has to take his place? And what happens when, after Troye gets personally noticed by Prince Tyler Oakley of Illèa himself, Tyler doesn't stop noticing him?

Trigger warnings for parental abuse, homophobic slurs, bad coming out experienced, and murder. Possible smut.

I hate myself.

Also, this is definitely not going to follow the same plot line as The Selection by Kiera Cass ( go fucking read that merde but beware of annoying protagonist ) but it has the same idea and inspiration. Think The Bachelor/Bachelorette mixed with The Hunger Games.

((Edit: coming back to this after chapter 35, and I'm laughing because I said that I wasn't even sure if I'd commit to this story lol look where I am now.  But anyways, for any new readers, I bumped the "My Thanks" and "Q&A Session" chapters up to the front of the story, so if you don't want to read those, just skip the next two parts, and then the real story starts.))

That's all for now.

Hope