Chapter 41- The Past

Katherine was bent on the floor with her hands covering her ears. She looked terrified, everyone rushed to her but she refused to stand from where she was bent and only kept shaking her head in a no.

" Katherine, it's okay, nothing is wrong,"  I said to her as I tried to pry her hands off her ears but that bastard suddenly had to interfere.

" I'll take care of her, I got this," My jaw ticked, did I ask for his fucking opinion?

He took Katherine's hand and helped her stand with everyone supporting her in the way they could.

Anna went to get water while Betty tried to pat her back but she didn't utter a word. I wanted to take her into my arms so fucking bad but they were in my way.

I watched with a clenched fist as he took her away.

Insufferable bastard.

She was mine.

When everyone focused back on the evening I was restless, Katherine still hadn't returned to join us with that dude.

I couldn't sit anymore, I stood up from where I was seated and made my way into the house.

I checked the sitting room and she wasn't there, where were they?

I decided to check her room so I went upstairs and straight to her room.

When I opened the door and saw what was before me, I considered murder for a minute.

Katherine was sleeping with her head on this dude's lap and he ran his fingers through her hair.

What gave him the right?

" She's asleep now, you can go," I said to him with malice, I knew from when I saw him that I wasn't going to like him.

" Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubbles but she doesn't want me to leave so I'm staying," Was this some kind of joke?

Katherine groaned in her sleep and her hands went round the dude's waist tighter which gave him the confidence to pass a smirk my way.

" It doesn't look like she wants me to leave," He said in triumph.

I could throw him out of my house if I wanted, but for Katherine's sake, I just glared at him one last time before walking out the door.

I was definitely going crazy.

*******

It was so sudden, I didn't expect something like that to happen to me in front of everybody.

I thought I had fought that phobia already, I cook almost every day, so why was last night different?

As I saw that fire flame up last night, it was like I was immediately transported to eight years ago when I watched our house burn down with my parents inside.

The day my entire life changed.

For years I couldn't be anywhere near fire without having a breakdown but it stopped then suddenly it came back again last night.

I didn't want to go back to taking medications, I hated that life and I didn't want to go back to it.

A knock suddenly came on my door.

" Come in please," I said as the door came open and Anna walked in with a tray of food.

I was supposed to be the one serving, not the reverse.

" What are you doing Anna?" I quickly got up from the bed and made my way to her but as I was about to collect the tray from her she pushed my hand away.

" Don't you dare, I'll be the one taking care of you today, so be quiet and let me do that, by the way, you're off today, my brother said so," She said as she sat on my bed while I did the same.

There were pancakes and some fruits with freshly squeezed orange juice.

" Thank you, Anna," I said as I started eating quietly.

" Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked me in a quiet voice as if she was afraid I'd get mad at her.

I dropped the pancakes I was holding as I got lost in my thoughts. I wasn't good at sharing my feelings, but I trusted Anna.

" My parents died when I was fifteen, in a fire accident, somehow I managed to survive but not without the trauma, Anna I watched my house go down in flames to the ground and the feeling that my parents were in there burning and groaning in pain was overwhelming, I couldn't do anything, they died," At this point, I was already crying and Anna quickly wrapped her arms around me patting my back.

I felt something drop on my back like water, she was crying too.

" I'm sorry, I didn't mean to load my baggage on you,"

" Stop it, I'm glad you talked to me, I now understand why you acted that way last  night,"

" Yeah, but it stopped, I was on medication and it all stopped, I don't really understand why it came back,"

" You're going to be fine, okay?"  She said and I just nodded, wiping my tears.

" Cheer up,"

I spent the rest of the day in my room, I just wanted to be alone.

My violin, I needed to play it.

I got up from my bed and went to where I kept it. Then I put on shoes and went outside my room heading to the garden.

When I got to the garden I sat down on the bench placing my violin on my shoulder and as soon as I struck the first note, memories came rushing back like I was taken back in time.

( Flashback )

" Why does the whole house smell like something is burning?" I groaned as I got up from bed, it was late at night and my mom was still burning things.

" Mom, don't tell me you're trying another recipe from your cooking book at this time of the night?" I opened my room door to see that everywhere was covered in smoke.

" Mom! Dad!" I shouted as I rushed to my parent's room but there was so much smoke I could barely see.

" Katherine," I heard my mom weakly whisper.

" Mom!" I rushed into their room but as soon as I got in I was surrounded by fire.

" Katherine go! Run away from here! Go far away, they'll find you!"

" My love you have to run!" My dad said as he groaned in pain.

Fire service, fire service I had to call them.

But my phone was in my room, and tears of fear and frustration started filling my eyes.

I tried to look for anything to help me pass the fire to them but there was nothing I was stuck and to make matters worse things were falling, the house was falling apart.

" Katherine, don't being stubborn, go!" I didn't listen.

I couldn't leave them here, I didn't want to leave them. I pushed through finally getting to them but the sight in front of me broke my heart into a million pieces, something heavy fell on them and I knew I would be able to push it away.

There has to be a way, I couldn't leave them here please no.

Tears blurred my vision and I wiped them in anger trying to push off the wood from them, things were still falling.

" Katherine, listen to me, there is no time, you have to go," my mom said in pain as she held my hand and I shook my head

" Please you have to promise us that you'll leave here, you'll start a new life somewhere, or else we won't rest promise,"

" I can't,"

" Katherine!!"

" Okay,"

" Now go!" I didn't want to, but I looked at my parents one last time before running away.

I killed them.