🐍15🐍

"How is she?" I ask Javier over the damn phone because he has been calling me for two days

"How is she?" I ask Javier over the damn phone because he has been calling me for two days. He does it deliberately to catch Marco's attention. He just doesn't fucking stop torturing my life. "You said two months. It's been four days!" I hiss, trying not to catch attention in this small rundown coffee shop.

"I'm making sure you don't fucking mess with our plan."

"We have no plan." I gritted my teeth. "It's my plan."

"But ours since I've got little Neva." He sighs. "She's terrified, Clara. Because she entered this world incorrectly."

"Do not hurt my baby." I hissed. "It's me you hate. She did nothing."

"You're right, but I'll use her to keep you acting right. I know you will do anything for her." A video appears on my laptop screen, and I'm speechless when Neva appears on the screen near a pool with two men. Memories of what the hijo de puta resurfaces, and I'm holding my breath.

"What are you doing?"

'She's having her first swim."

"Javier. Don't."

"It's a swim, Clara." He laughs. "Why are you petrified?"

"You said two months. I'm waiting on the system, Javier." I swallow the lump in my throat, scared when I see one of the men crouching down to talk to Neva. She's nodding and giving him Frida. Then, the next man dives into the pool. "Javier?" It's quiet on the other line, and I'm fighting tears again.

The first man puts goggles over Neva's eyes, lifts her and throws her into the water. "Javier." My knees bounce, and I'd scream if I didn't know where I was. The second man holds her up, and I whimper when she smiles. My sweet baby had no idea the dangers she was in.

"She doesn't know you." He finally speaks.

"Please. Don't do this." I'm shaking and watching the man hold his breath and go underwater with her. "Why'd you call? Dime!" Their heads resubmerge, and her little mouth sucks in a lungful of air.

"Marco has bought tickets to an event tonight." He starts. I nod as if he can see me, petrified of my daughter held underwater.

"What do I do?"

"I'll have a man with a key and a ticket. Call me when you get to America."

"America?" I asked in disbelief. "You want me to go to America? Javier—"

"You'll do it. How does a box outside for twenty-four hours feel?"

"I'll do it," I said with no hesitation. "What should I look for? What man?" Blood whooshes to my ears.

"You will know when you get there." Neva gets pulled out of the pool, and she is crying. My hand goes to my mouth to block any sounds leaving my lips. I sniffle, wiping my cheeks, watching this fucking sorcery. "And Clara?"