💀36💀

My phone rings, and I pull it to my ear

My phone rings, and I pull it to my ear. "I'll kill you myself." Adrik hisses. "Why the fuck haven't you called? It's been what?" I don't answer as I load the gun with rounds. "Almost four months."

"How's Butterfly?" I ignore his futile anger. It's no use.

"Save that nickname for someone better. I'm no butterfly when my husband refuses to let me use the bathroom alone." I remove the phone from my ear when I'm aware of the video call coming through. I hear Adrik grunt and murmur, and Giulia comes on the screen in a T-shirt that barely covers her belly. I grin. I've missed them—Giulia's lovely conversations and Adrik's jealousy.

"Are you laughing at my wife?" The man just couldn't help himself. I know he misses me because either he calls or I don't. It's been a habit. He'd arrive in the dead of night if he didn't have babies on the way or something to lose.

"I'm not laughing at your wife but at you." I roll my eyes. "How are my girls?"

"Making me fat." She smiles, knowing she doesn't need to worry because her husband loves her just how she is. After all, I can see the bastard watching her with a smile. It feels so fucking odd watching Adrik happy, but it warms me nonetheless to know he has the woman he wanted and she loves him.

"You look lovely as always, and how are you?"

"Oh, I'm alright. I just miss the boys around—you and maybe Sasha."

"Maybe Sasha?" I place the phone down and grin. "You won't forgive him ever?"

"I have, but I don't want him to know it." She rubs her belly dreamily and smiles back at the camera. "I give birth soon in one month. How's life in Mexico? Anything interesting?"

I contemplate whether or not I should let them know that Clara is carrying my child and that little Neva has won my heart. "It's warm, and the clear skies and breeze are nothing like Russia." I instead said as I pulled the briefcase and secured the gun inside.

"Meanwhile, it's getting close to the winter here. You're lucky."

"I'll take you somewhere warm after you give birth—just not Mexico." Adrik voices.

"Not now, at least. I agree with him."

"Why's that? Are you two hiding something from me? You know that I know a thing or two about guns and violence. I'm married to a mob boss, that's one. Two, I was born into this world." Giulia may be correct, but comprehending is worse than not knowing.

"Yeah, but I've got it handled." I grin, tucking the briefcase beneath the bed where Neva would never look.

Giulia sighs, letting the conversation go for now. "How's she doing?" I'm silent for a moment. "She still hates me, doesn't she?" It's my turn to sigh. These two go way back before Clara and me. I just do hope they come together and apologise. Clara never told me what happened, but I won't ever pressure her to tell me anything if she doesn't want to. The last time it happened, she broke down in my arms and begged me to make her forget. My jaw clenched.