Always Her (1)

Waliyah's P.O.V.

"Amma, I am going to be late!" I say shoving half a toast in my mouth, pulling Qadira out behind me, "Ayra, hurry!" I complained as Amma chased after us with our lunch bags.

"Ek minute!" Amma said latching onto Qadira's arm, "Aaj raat ko, tum dono Salma Bhabhi ke pass rukh jaana." (Stay the night at Salma Bhabhi's house.)

My smile dropped, "Amma," I said with my mouth full, "Waha kyu?" (Why there?)

"Wafa," Amirah Api said my name firmly, "Do as Amma says, it will be late before you two get out of college, and it isn't safe."

I sighed, "Salma Thaiji doesn't like it when we stay there Api, you know that  Ayra and I will try to get out earlier, promise."

"Nahi,"  (No)  Baba said coming out of the kitchen, "It is not safe Wafa, I have already spoken to Bhaijaan, and he has no problem with it. In fact, Waqar will be picking you, Ayra, and Maryam from there to take home."

Pouting I stopped protesting knowing that I wasn't going to win this battle. "Fine, can we go now though? We seriously are going to be late."

Baba chuckled, "Late for college or late to meet Amal?"

Smiling I bid them goodbye dragging Ayra after me, "Walk faster!' I said as we stood at the bus stand. 

Ayra glared at me, "Let go!" She said rubbing her forearm, "It hurts, I was walking as fast as I could."

Rolling my eyes I kept quiet not wanting to argue with her, soon our bus came, "Chalo," (Let's go) I said, letting her. get on first then got on myself. Ayra and I sat beside each other quietly, "Kya hua hai tumhe?" (What's wrong with you?) I ask after a few minutes. 

Ayra shook her head, but I knew by her behavior something was off. "Qadira," I say her full name, "Tell me,"

"Don't tell Baba," 

"I won't," 

"I dont like going to Thaiji's house," She admitted, "Thayaji barely says anything to us and Thaiji needs to remind us that we don't have a brother, every minute. Wicky Bhai tries to stop her, but then Mary Api stops him I do not understand why Baba thinks that we are safe and comfortable there Api. I would rather go and stay at Amal Api's house."

Breathing out heavily I gently take her hand in mine, "I know, but Thayaji is Baba's brother Ayra. I am sure there is nothing we can do or say that will turn. Baba against him or at least see the truth. Thayaji helped Baba out a lot to set up his bakery business, he is just keeping respect because of that."

"But that doesn't mean Thaiji needs to-"

"Ayra," I stop her, "I understand what you are saying, but we can't say or do anything that can hurt Baba okay? Just deal with it, Api and I have been  dealing with it long before you came around too."

Ayra sighed, "Fine,"

"Cheer up," I said gently nudging her, "It's your first day back in  college  there must  be some sort of excitement."

"Api, all we do in  college are classes, and then go to the cafeteria and then go to Thaijis house, there is nothing to be excited about."

I smirked at her, "What about meeting Haider?" Haider, her childhood best friend, was also her crush for the past three years. "He's something to look forward to."

"Api," She whined rubbing her cheeks trying to stop it from turning red. "Stop,"

Chuckling I  pull her in a  tight hug, I look out the window breathing out heavily, I feel happy that I could take her mind off the inevitable. Thaiji always had something against us, just because we were four sisters, it's 2024, and still in Pakistan, it's looked down upon to have more than one daughter. My Baba and Amma never differentiated us from boys, but. Thaiji, looked at us as if we were infected, she kept Maryam so isolated and filled her with hate just like her.  Waqar Bhai and Thayaji loved us, but that infuriated them more. We four can never win with her. 

.  . .

Arriving at college I bid Ayra a quick goodbye handing her lunch bag, before rushing to my next class, I was so late, running into the hallways of the college, I swerved around people as much. as possible, just as I was about to reach my class door, I went flying down to the ground along with my belongings. 

"Watch were you are going!" I snapped looking up, coming. face to face with Samar. Qureshi, our. schools "It," boy. You know the one where all the girls would swoon over him and all the boys wanted to be him.

 He smirked at me, casually squatting down infront of me, "I think I should be the one to say that, you bumped into me."

Glaring at him I sit up brushing my hands off the dirt, I begin to gather my things off the ground shoving them back into my bag. "I was in a hurry, you could have gotten out of the. way." I said angrily wincing as I stood back up, the leg that I had landed on hurt to stand on. 

Samar raised an eyebrow at me, "You were the one running like a maniac down the hallway."

"Excuse me?" I asked offended that he had called me a manic, "I wanted to get to class-" Class! My eyes widened, I didn't have time to argue with him. Turning around quickly in the direction of my class, I ignored his calls to get my attention and ran in. All eyes turned to look at me, including Ms Ali's whose eyes were filled with disappointment. "I can explain Ms Ali-"

"Go find a seat, Ms Sultan," She cut me off, "And try not to disturb the class for the rest of the time."

A few chuckles were heard in the silence, including Amal and Rabias, giving them a pointed look, I went to sit beside them. "Quite an entrance," Amal whispered,

"Shut up," I whispered back, "Don't get me in trouble more than I already am." Giggling she passed her notes towards me allowing me to copy them, "Thanks,"

. . .

Samar's P.O.V.

"Kya ladki thi yaar," (What a girl, dude)  Atif said smiling, "She was the one who ran into you!"

Chuckling I shook my head, looking down at my shirt she had ruined, that girl didnt notice that I was holding a drink in. my hand when she completely bulldozed me. 

"I know, but she seemed like she didnt recognize you." Salman said joining in, "I mean otherwise girls go crazy over you, she seemed to kinda dislike you."

It did seem that way, but why? I swear I had never seen her on campus before today, so what did she have against me? Breathing out heavily I shrugged, "Pata nahi kyu," (I don't know why) I answered, "I mean other than today I do not think I have even talked to her."

Salman nodded, "No, but I do see her hang around Rabia and Amal. alot."

Their names seemed familiar, "Amal Khan?" I asked, "Since when did Amal start to have friends?"

"Dude," Atif said tiredly, "Amal is popular, but just not popular enough to get your attention. Amal has friends, but she only lets a few people in her circle."'

"Whatever,' I said trying to change the topic, "Let's go see if I have any clothes in the car, she completely ruined this shirt."

"Chalo," Atif said, "Otherwise if Khala saw your shirt, she will begin asking thousands of questions."

Chuckling I agree, "Some of them won't even make sense."

Even though I had told them to move on about the girl, for some reason. I wasn't able to get her out of my mind. . . who was she and why hadn't I seen her before?