Always Her (2)

Waliyah's P.O.V.

Taking a deep breath of encouragement, I hold onto Ayra's hand tightly and knock on the door of Thayaji's home. I wanted Amal to. come with us, alongside being my best friend she also was my Thaiji's niece, having her around took her scrutiny down a knot but she had other plans for the evening with her. family that she could not miss. A few seconds later Maryam Api opened the door, "As-Salaam-Alaikum, Api." I greeted her with a smile but she rolled her eyes and walked away from the open door. "Baba, Amma, they are here."

See Wicky Bhai was supposed to pick us up from college but Mary Api played it smart and got him to pick her up an hour earlier than both our classes ended, which meant we had to walk from the campus to their home. Ayra huffed out of annoyance, as we stood at the. gate like a stranger, soon enough Thayaji appeared, gesturing us to come in. "As-Salaam-Alaikum, Thayaji." I greeted half-heartedly taking my shoes off at the door. Ayra did the same while greeting him. 

"Wa-Alaikum-Salaam," He said squishing us in a tight hug, which we awkwardly reciprocated. "Waqar tum dono ko bhi lene aa wala tha per, woh Maryam ki classes jaldi khatam hogi toh-" (Waqar was supposed to pick you two up, but then Maryam's classes earlier and-)

"Koi baat ni Thayaji." (It's okay Uncle) I cut him off so he didnt have to think of excuses to cover up what Mary Api and Thaiji thought of. "Ayra and I needed the walk, losing weight for Ammy Api's wedding."

Thayaji chuckled softly, "You two do not need to diet, or lose weight." He pushed us into the living room where Thaiji was sitting, alongside Wicky Bhai. "Dekho kon aaya hain." (Look who is here.)

 "As-Salaam-Alaikum, Thaiji." I said hesitantly, 

She glared at me immediately but nevertheless greeted me back, "Wa-Alaikum-Salaam,"

An awkward silence fell among us, Ayra tugged at my hand like a little kid, she was always hungry after we came back from college, but how to ask the Devil sitting infront of us? Clearing my throat I spoke up once again, "Thaiji, is there something to eat in the kitchen?"

"Jake bana lo," (Go make something) She said firmly, "When Mary came from college she ate all the leftovers, the kitchen is always open for you two, you know that Wafa." Yeah, to cook and clean. 

Ayra and I dropped our bag in the designated corner Thaiji told us to put it, and walked into the kitchen to see Daniya Bhaji making fresh paranta (Naan) for us. "Bhaji!" I exhaled hugging her from the back, "Allah aapko lambi umar de," (I hope Allah, gives you a long life)

Daniya Bhaji chuckled, "Zada makkan na lago, jaldi se garam garam paranta khalo." (No need to suck up too much, now hurry and eat the fresh naans.)

Daniya Bhaji has been working for. Thaiji and.Thayaji for as long as I can remember. She was like our designated babysitter, whenever the six of us were together, or the seven of us. when Amal came over as well. Ayra quickly set up the small table inside of the kitchen, gathering makni (butter), dahi (plain yogurt), and chatni (pickled sauce) to eat with the fresh parantas (naans) that were made for us. "I am so happy right now that I can. cry," She admitted, "I didn't eat anything on campus,"

Smiling softly I hand her two more knowing how big her appetite can be after school, Daniya Bhaji, set down fresh sups of chai for us as well. "Eat well," She said, "I have to go out and give chai to the rest of the family."

"Thank you Bhaji," Ayra said, 

Daniya Bhaji gently touched her hair, before heading out of the kitchen, "We will clean the kitchen for her," I said to Ayra, who nodded to be busy eating her food. Digging in myself, I almost moaned as my mouth was filled with flavor, "Bhaji makes the best parantha," I complimented her,