Always Hers (40)

Waliyah's P.O.V.

"Alright class, next week on Monday we have our field trip, so tommorow I need all the permission slips signed and handed in," I announce turning around to face the class before the bell rang indicating the end of the day. I lean against the front of my desk, "If the permission slips are not handed in, unfortunately, I cannot take you along with me you will have to stay back at the school and stay in the other third-grade classroom."

Zaid, one of the little boys in the class raised his hand, "Yes," I said pointing to him, allowing him to speak. 

"Baba and Amma are gone out of town, is it okay if I get Khala to sign it instead? I really want to go on the field trip Ms Sultan."

I smile softly at him, "Of course, it is okay if your Khala signs the form, just as long as an adult knows you are coming along with us, then it is fine."

Zaid nodded, "Okay."

"Alright, any more questions?" I asked looking around the classroom, but everyone kept quiet. "Okay,  then remember to bring those forms tomorrow, the bell is about to ring any minute." As soon as I said that the dismissal bell rang. The kids rushed out the door, as I stayed back fixing the desks, and putting supplies back into their designated place. 

I really loved teaching. . .it gave me alittle break from all the drama and tension that happens at home. I honestly just wish I had burned my diary, that way no one could have read it, no one could have copied it, and everyone could just live on happily like it was before. Being with these kids helps me escape, and that is why I love this job. 

Finally done with cleaning everything up I begin to pack my bag when I get a call. . .it was from Samar. My heart skipped a beat. . .he never calls me now. . should I answer? I bite my lip, debating about it, but end up sending it to voicemail. I may love him, but that does not mean I have forgotten everything he has said about me, I still have some of my self-respect intact, and I am not going to forgive him for saying all those things to me. 

Once I was outside of the classroom I searched my bag for the keys to the door, did all my given duties, and headed out of the school gates, when I got another call from Samar. Furrowing my eyebrows I decided to answer this time, "Hello?" I say confused as to why he was calling so much. 

"Amal," Samar said almost desperately, "She was fine yesterday night, but this morning she woke me up hysterically crying, there was blood all over the mattress, Wafa." Did she have a miscarriage? "She was screaming in pain, Waliyah, and I-I didnt know what to do so I called the ambulance, and she was taken to the hospital. I went with her, but during the ride, she fainted." My footsteps got faster as I heard she fainted, "She had been uncoincuous all day Wafa, and she just opened her eyes, and you are the first person she asked for." I began running towards my house, so I could drop my things and called a taxi to pick me up. "Please come here as fast as you. can, she is waiting for you Wafa." He said Wafa. . .he hasn't said my name so kindly in weeks. I shook my head not wanting to point that out to him. 

"I am coming." I say firmly,  "Give me ten minutes, I'll be there." Running through the gates of our home I yell, "Amma!" My heart was beating a mile and a minute, "Amma, Amal is in the hospital."

Amma and Baba came rushing out of their room, "When did she go?"

"Samar just called me," I say in a panic, "I have called a taxi, and I am going there. You two go to Rukhsar Khala's house, and I'll meet you at the hospital." They both nodded, as I rushed out impatiently waiting for the taxi. I kept getting updates from Samar, as I waited. The taxi came, and I said, "Bhaiya, Jaldi se hospital le jao." (Please take me to the hospital, as fast as possible). The driver nodded, and I was on my way to the hospital.