Always Hers (20)

Waliyah's P.O.V

"Api!" I said in excitement pulling into a tight hug. Api chuckled as she hugged me back. It was so quiet yesterday at our house after we came back from the Qureshi house. It was as if we were mourning her missing presence. "You look so pretty."

"I am here too you know," Bhai said sarcastically as he came to stand beside her. "It is my walima too"

I rolled my eyes and hugged him as well, "You look good too Bhai." Bhai chuckled patting my pack lovingly. Ayra and Malli followed behind me greeting them, and we all went to sit at our table. "Ammy kitni sundar lag rahi hai." (Ammy looks so beautiful) Amma said smiling, "Kisi ki nazar na lage." (I hope no evil eyes reach her.)

"Tumhari nazar lage gi," (I think your evil eyes will) Baba joked, to which Amma slapped his shoulder, but her smile maintained.

Soon Samar and Karshima came on stage holding their mikes and continued to do their speeches on stage, my gaze was looking for Amal, she said she would come tonight with Thaiji but when I asked Wicky Bhai, he said that she said, she will come with Khala and Khalu. Pulling my phone out of my purse I shoot her a quick text,

'Where are you?'

"Texting Api?" Ayra asked,

I nodded, "She said she would be here," I began to get this bad feeling in my stomach, is she okay? Did Samar say something to her?

'Be there soon,' She responded, after reading that, I got some relief, but just. . .I do not know how to explain it, something just felt off.

. . . 

Amal's P.O.V.

"Tum waha nahi jaa sakti!"(You cannot go there!)  Amma said frantically pacing around infront of me, "Amal, think about what you are doing!"

"Amma!" I argued, "I have always thought what I am doing, this is just the first time that I am listening to my heart. I like Samar, and he likes me too, please you have to support me on this."

"Amal," Amma breathed out heavily, "The doctor has only given you six months to live,"

"And I want to live to the fullest in these six months Amma." I retorted, "Please, let me love someone, let me get married, let me atleast enjoy the feeling of having a nikkah before i die!"

Amma's eyes filled with tears, "Amu," She whispered, "Does Samar even know you have cancer?"

This is the one thing that I am proud to tell her, that Samar knows, and it doesnt matter to him. "He knows Amma,"

Amma looked taken back, "He knows everything, I talk to him almost every night, he is the first boy that has ever given me this type of attention, and has actually given me the time of day. Samar is different, I know he is different, please Amma do not take this away from me." I walk towards her and take her hand in mine, "Please Amma,"

She reluctantly nodded, I hadnt plan to tell her about Samar yet, but yesterday night when I was showing her my mehnid, I had completely forgotten that I had gotten SQ written in my mehndi. Once Amma spotted them, her questions were impossible to dosge, so I had no choice but to tell her that Samar was. . .well my boyfriend. Amma had taken the news alright last night, but when I told her I wanted to go to Api's walima tonight, she continued to have. an complete freak attack.

I understand her concern and her worries but, those worries had been taken away from me by Samar and Wafa.  "Can I go now Amma? Wafa has texted me ten times asking where I am."

"I'll come with you," She said firmly, "I do not want you to go alone so late at night,"

"But-"

"I will not say anything to his parents, I want to meet him first, after I tell your Baba about him in my way. I just truely want to make sure you are safe, so let me get ready."

Breathing out heavily I nodd, "Okay," Amma let go of my hand and went on her way.  This was only one battle that I have overcame, and there were thousands more to come before I could have my dream wedding with Samar but I am not worries, because I know I have the support of him and Wafa. 

. . . 

Arriving at the venue my eyes quickly begin to search where Wafa and her family is sitting, hoping there are seats left for Amma and I. Awkwardly scrouching down, so I do not catch any unwanted attention as Api and Bhai are giving there speeches to one another, we make it to their table. As soon as Wafa saw me and Amma her face lit up, and pulled me to sit beside her, "What took you so long?"

"I will tell you everything later," I said quickly, not wanting to talk about it infront of Amma. Thanfully Wafa got the message and began to talk about how pretty Ammy Api looked, and how happy she is with Atif Bhai. Wafa and her family have always treated me like I am one of them, unlike my blood related Khala who literally thought I was diseased and wouldnt let me play with Mariam. Ayaan Khalu and Saboor Khala, always treated me like another daughter, and Wafa and I well our bond was a whole another story. Even though we werent sisters, there was nothing that could stop us from crating a sister like bond. Wafa means alot too me, and I know I mean alot to her, that's why she has doen so much for me to acheive my happiness, even when I had lost all hope for it. 

Wafa has always been the light in my life, especially when my cancer broke in my family, everyone had begun treating me like I was made of glass but Wafa treated me normally. She hung out with me, took me to places, and spoke to me without beginning to cry, Wafa became my strength to fight this bump in my life, and noow Samar has become that. I want to stay longer here on Earth, want to create memories with him, want to build a family with him. . .and so much more. 

"Now it is time for the bride and groom to have their first dance," Samar announced through the mike, he hadnt noticed me yet. "After their dance all other couples can join as well."

Api and Bhai came down on the dance floor and began their dance, it looked so beautiful and magical. I imagine myself there one day, hopefully soon. . .once Samar and my parents meet, I hope we can go over and meet his parents. 

Lost in my thoughts I do not even notice that they are done, and another song begins to play, cheekily Wafa, Ayra and Malli send Khala and Khalu to the dance floor clapping for them, Mahira Khala and Adeel Khalu to as well, Wicky Bhai and Rabia go as well. . .Samar spots me, and winks at me. Supressing my smile, I look over at Amma who does not look pleased at all. "Amma,"

"No," She says firmly, "Wafa and the rest of the girls are sitting here, you can as well."

My smile falters, looking down at my hand I imagine a ring on my ring finger. . .Samar's ring. . .then no one stop us from dancing with one another. 

"Amal?" I look up at Samar right away as he is extending an hand out for me, my heart skipps a beat, Amma was sitting right beside me, how could he become so bold? I did not know what to do, I wanted to, but. . ."Will you dance with me?"

I look over at Amma again, who looked perplexed at the situation too, she had already said no to me, but could she say it again to him?  "Amma?" I ask quietly once again. Amma sighed, "One dance,"

Smiling I take Samar's hand, and repeat, "One dance."

Samar led us away to the dance floor, and pulled me as close as he could smiling down at me, "You look beautiful,"

I blush, "Thank you," I could see the sincerity in Samar's eyes, and I wish Amma and Baba see it too. I want to spend the rest of the time I have left with him. . .I think that I have fallen completely and hopelessly in love with Samar Qureshi.