Always Hers (35)

Amal's P.O.V.

"And there is your baby," The nurse said pointing to a small blurb on the screen as my eyes filled with tears as I held Saad's hand tightly. "Alittle hard to see, but it's there."

Saad laughed emotionally, "This is so surreal," He said, 

"I know," I whispered, "I cannot beleive that we are going to be parents."

The nurse laughed, "I hear that way too many times a day," She continued to move the small handle around my stomach trying to find better angles to show us our baby. "But it's real, and a huge responsibility."

"Which we can handle," Saad said firmly,  "As long as we have one another, we can handle anything."

My stomach hurt a little as he said those words. . .who knows how long I have. . .realistically. . . I am happy to be pregnant, but who knows how long I will have with my child, Docotor Javed did say my blood work is coming back a lot better than it was before, but it only takes a millisecond to go back to what it was. . .I wonder how his and Wafa's meeting is going. . .

Waliyah's P.O.V.

"Here is her report," Doctor Javed said pushing the file toward me, he has been following her case ever since she was first diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, at the age of 16. "Her blood work looks decent compared to how it looked four months ago when she last fainted. Samar has been taking really good care of her and been good with her oral chemotherapy,  and the regular blood tests."

"That all sounds fantastic, but. . ." I clear my throat, trying to keep my tone low knowing that they were just in the next room enjoying their first peak at their baby through the sonography. "How will the pregnancy affect her Dcotor Javed?"

Doctor Javed sighed, "This is a very difficult case Wafa," 

That was not very helpful, "What do you mean?"

"A cancer diagnosis during pregnancy is a hurtful thing to experience and very rarely does it happen, but with Amal. . it the opposite. Amal has already had this diagnosis for such a long period of time, and just a few months ago, her cell count was so high, that  it became hard to predict what was next for her.  . .this sudden pregnancy. . .it's almost a miracle Wafa."

"Is it dangerous for her to be pregnant?" I ask, 

"The oral chemotherapy that I have her on to keep the cancer stable, is a threat to the fetus, especially in the first term. Statistically in the second or third trimester, since there has been significant development there isnt much disturbance, but in the first term, there is a huge risk of a miscarriage."

"B-but she can't stop taking the oral chemo though, her health with deteriorate rapidly," I say panicked. If she doesnt stop, then there is a risk of her losing her baby due. to the strong medications. Amal will literally have to pick between herself or her baby. . .

"Precisely," He confirmed, 

"Can we lower the dose?" I tried to think of ways around the dilemma she was about to face.

"No," Dr. Javed, "The dose is very specific to what works for her body Wafa, that is just as risky as not taking anything."

Hai Allah, "Then. . .what is going to happen?"

He sat back, "For now, nothing is in my hands. . .the only other I can think of is Amal could terminate this pregnancy." 

"She won't abort this baby," I say firmly, "I know her."