Always Hers (39)

Waliyah's P.O.V.

"Aaj toh aajao," (At least come today) Api whined, "It's my birthday, Wafa." For the past couple of weeks, I have avoided going to the. Qureshi House, for my mental peace, along with Amal and Samars. Even she hasn't really called me over, obviously trying to avoid the tension it would create between him and I.  Amal told me she tried talking to him about what Mary Api did, but he is not ready to hear it, she says, something changes as soon as my name is mentioned. "Wafa!'

"Api," I say quietly, "You know why I do not want to come over." I had told her everything, and I am sure she told Bhai as well, so I do not know why she is adamant about me coming over right now. "So please, I told you to do something here, at home."

"Wafa, it is my first birthday here after my nikkah. Amma, Baba, and Atif are not going to let me celebrate my birthday just with you guys. That is why I am asking you to come over.'

"Then the rest of family are coming-"

"Please Wafa," Api said, "For me," Sighing, I stopped grading third-grade spelling tests and looked over at her as she pouted through the phone, "Come on,"

"Fine," I give in, "I'll be there."

"Yes!" She celebrated by doing alittle dance over the phone, "I also have an announcement to make tonight."

"Announcement?" I ask curiously, "What kind?"

"That is a surprise." She said smiling, "See you." Api hung up the phone as I leaned back holding my head as it began to throb due to all the possible scenarios that were floating around in my brain. I had no idea how tonight was going to go, but I could feel it in my stomach, something was defintiely going to go wrong. 

. . .

"As-Salaam-Alaikum," I say to Mahira Khala who gives me a soft smile, as I walk through the door, purposefully coming alittle later than Amma and Baba did, I kept Ayra behind me so it didn't look so awkward when I came here. 

"As-Salaam-Alaikum, Khalu." I greeted Adeel Khalu as well who smiled brightly at me. 

"Wa-Alaikum-Salaam," He replied, "Kitne din hoga tumhe dekha nahi." (It's been so long since you have come here.)

"Bas," (Well) I begin shyly "I have been busy with work, and I have begun to help Baba with the accounting for his company. So just haven't had time."

"Wafa!" Api rushed over to me, pulling me in a tight hug. "Thank you for coming." 

I chuckled, "Happy Birthday, Api." I hug her back just as tight rubbing her back gently, "I love you."

"I love you too." She said before hugging Ayra as well. I slowly moved towards the. sofa where Amma was standing, and stood behind her. I avoided Samar's gaze, who was glaring at me, I looked around the house, and couldnt see Amal anywhere. I pull out my phone and text her. 

Where are you? I am here. 

A few seconds later she replied, Upstairs, be down in a few.

Breathing out heavily I smile at the rest of the guests and family members attending Api's birthday bash when out of the corner of my eye I see Mary Api but she doesn't smirk at me, or make eye contact like she usually does. Why was she acting so out of character?

"Wafa?" Mahira Khala said, "Kuch kaa lao."  (Eat something)

I shake my head, "Abhi nahi Khala," (Not right now Khala) I look up at the stairs, "Amal aa jaa toh kaa lao gi." (When Amal comes down, then I will)