Always Hers (7)

Waliyah's P.O.V.

Walking into Atif Bhai's home, Ayra, Malli and I gasped at the amazing decorations they had done for a simple dawat.(dinner) Late last night Khalu had asked us to come for a pre-wedding dawat, so the families were able to get to know each other before we had the engagement which was a day away. "Api," Malli whispered, "This house looks bigger than Thayajis." It probably was, but I hushed her as Thaiji and Thayaji had decided to tag along to this dawat. Api and I really protested but apparently, Thaiji was mad, that we hadn't called them over when Bhai's family had come to see Api. She hadn't been answering Amma's calls, so they decided to make it up to her by inviting her to this dawat. Thank god, Mary Api didnt tag along since it was her friend's birthday party, but Wicky Bhai had come along with Thaiji and Thayaji, which was fine because that meant, we didnt have to worry about nasty comments coming out of Mary Api's mouth and Wicky Bhai was just genuinely happy for Ammy Api.

"As-Salaam-Alaikum" Adeel Khalu said smiling at Baba, they hugged each other, and so did Mahira Khala and Amma. Baba introduced Rafaqat Thayaji and Salma Thaiji to them, and surprisingly Thaiji didn't say anything snotty to them. She thought just because she had more money than us, then she had more may than the rest of the world.

"As-Salaam-Alaikum" Samar said to me, with a smug smile.

I furrowed my eyebrows but nevertheless replied, and said, "Wa-Alaikum-Salaam" Ayra nudged me because of the attention Samar was giving me, but I was not dealing with any of the bullshit he was doing infront of me. Clearing my throat, I pushed her infront of me and stood next to Malli wanting to get away from the unwanted attention that he was attracting towrds me.

Atif Bhai and Api were the cutest as they greeted each other, Ayra was about to tease them but I slapped her arm, not wanting to create a bad impression infront of Khala and Khalu. Malli and Faraz were a whole other story, as they avoided eye contact in every possible way. Malli had said that she had forgiven him, but I knew there was a part of her, that never truly would forgive his awful behavior towards her.

Waqar Bhai noticed Samar's gaze on me, so he came to stand infront of me, and introduced himself, "As-Salaam-Alaikum" He extended his hand for him to shake, "My name is Waqar,"

Samar cleared his throat dropping his smug look he smiled at him, "Wa-Alaikum-Salaam, my name is Samar." He replied, "Nice to meet you."

Waqar Bhai offered him a small smile but kept his position, "Amma," He called over to Thaiji, "Chale?"(Let's go) He wanted to go sit, which was obvious we had been standing here for the past ten minutes, just greeting each other.

Baba smiled sheepishly, "Sorry Beta,"(Sorry Son)  He chuckled, "Chale Adeel Bhai?" (Shall we go Adeel Bhai?)

Adeel Khalu smiled and led us inside to the living room. Api, Ayra, Malli and I squished onto one couch, as Waqar Bhai, Faraz, Atif Bhau, and Samar squished on the other. We awkwardly sat on the couches as the elders talked to one another.

Adeel Khalu looked over at us amused, "Why are you all sitting here?" He asked smiling, "Karishma show the girls the house and Samar take the boys and go have some fun."

Karishma Api smiled at us and waved us over so the four of us got up and followed her, while the boys were right behind us. "Aap kyu aa rahe hain?" (Why are you tagging along?) She asked Samar, "Baba told you to go do your own stuff, what if we want to talk about girl stuff together?"

Samar shrugged, "Then talk about girl stuff,  I was just going in the theatre room so we could play some video games."

Karishma rolled her eyes at him and continued to walk, Api and Atif Bhai kept looking over at each obviously wanting to talk to each other but had hesitance. I looked over at Samar and pointed at them, Samar nodded noticing the same thing as me.  "Wicky Bhai," I say quietly, "Ek second baat karni thi." (Can I talk to you for a second?)The only thing stopping me from letting Api go with Bhai was him. He would obviously tell Thaiji, and then she would blow the whole thing out of proportion. Wicky Bhai stopped, as the rest continued to walk ahead of us. 

"What is it?" He asked crossing his arms, it was obvious he didnt like Samar, I could tell by his aura. 

"Api and Bhai want to talk to each other, and spend some time together." I blurt out quickly, "Last time Bhai had come over and Baba had allowed it obviously, with the door open and us an earshot away. Please, let them do the same now."

Wicky Bhai sighed, "Fine, but just make sure Ammi doesnt find out about this." He said, "You know how dramatic sheis."

I smiled at him, "Go it!" I grabbed his arm pulling him in the direction that the others went in. "Thank you Bhai."

Wicky Bhai smiled at me, as we entered the room I sat down beside Api, "I asked Bhai, go talk to Atif Bhai."

Api looked. over at me surprised, "Tumhe kaisa pata?" (How did you know I?)

"I know everything." I said quickly nudging her, "Now go,"

Api got up and said something to Atif. Bhai quietly and the two went into a small room beside the Theatre room. Samar and Karishma smiled at me, while Malli and Faraz glared at each other. Did something else happen between them or was Faraz back at his old habits?

"Should we watch a movie?" Karishma asked as silence had taken over us. 

Malli shrugged, "Up to you Api,"

"How about we play a game?" Samar questioned,  "You know, so we all get to know each other better."

Waqar Bhai nodded, "Sure, but what game?"

"Mhm," Samar pretended to think, "How about 21 questions?" 

I cleared my throat, I had nothing to hide so I said, "Sure,"

"Alright," He replied, "I will go first, Why do you not like me Waliyah?"

"Excuse me?" I said taken back, I was not expecting him to ask me that right off the bat. 

"Why do you not like me?" He repeated his question, "What have I done?"

I furrow my eyebrows as I feel my anxiety rise, I begin to play with the end of my dupatta, "I don't not like you." I tried to justify myself, "I-I mean," I breathed out trying to stop myself from stuttering, "I am just thick-skinned, I had to become hard-headed. It may seem like I dont like you, but right now you. are just in my testing period. If you can get past my hard shell and try to see my true personality, then you will become a friend otherwise, you will just be-"

"A stranger?"  Samar cut me off, 

I nodded, "A stranger." I confirm. 

"Well then I guess I'll try my best to get through your testing period," Samar said in amusement there was mischievousness playing in his eyes as he spoke with me. 

Malli cleared her throat, "My turn," She cut into our little moment, "I want to ask Samar Bhai something,"

Samar looked over at her, "Why are you so interested in my Api?"  Samar's eyes widened as Malli had her blunt question. "I mean, I have never seen you around before, or Api has never mentioned you before, so why now?"

Karishma chuckled, "Going in for the kill," Malli smiled back at her as she leaned against Wicky bhai, who also had a smile on his face. 

Samar sat up straighter, "Well I guess your Api has caught my eye," I looked up at him warningly, "She did make a bold first impression." 

"What?"

"You bumped into me remember?" Samar reminded me, "And then blamed me for making you drop your things as you were running to class."

"Right," I shrunk back, "Sorry about that."

"Who wants to go next?" Samar asked as he sat back as well. 

This flirtatious speech coming from him made me feel uncomfortable. . What was going on in his mind? Why was he taking an interest in me? Was it genuinely for me or was it for Amal? When we had walked in today, his eyes kept searching for someone as he stared at the door, who was he waiting for? Me. . .or Amal?