Always Hers (14)

Samar's P.O.V.

Pulling up to Amal's home I text her, letting her know I was downstairs. Thank goodness that she was coming tonight. I received a very vague text message from Wafa this afternoon, but everything fell into place as the day. went on. This was her way for Amal and I to spend more time together. 

'Coming' Amal texted back, and within a few seconds, she was walking towards my car. She looked so pale, and her hand, seemed like she was purposely hiding it with her dupatta. Amal opened the car door and said, "As-Salaam-Alaikum,"

I smiled at her, "Wa-Alaikum-Salaam" and began to pull away from her driveway, "How are you?"

Amal smiled back, "I am doing good, what about you?" This seemed like such a structured conversation. 

"Good, just busy with all the preparations for the wedding, most of the functions are at our home."

Amal nodded, "Yeah, Wafa was saying that she felt so overwhelmed at times because Ayra is lazies out a time and Malli just whines when she is asked to do something." 

I laughed, "I have noticed that, but Faraz does the same thing too. He is so lazy, and does not like to be ordered around."

Amal laughed as well until we fell into a comfortable silence, I looked over at her, and she looked so beautiful smiling. . she looked just perfect. Amal noticed I was looking over at her and she asked, "What?"

"You looked pretty smiling." I complimented her, 

Amal blushed, "Samar," She shook her head, 

"What?"

"That was a lame way to flirt with me," She said leaning against the seat more, my gaze fell down to her hand once again. Would it be appropriate for me to ask why she covering it or should I just leave it?

"I was just stating the truth." I shook off the eerie feeling I was getting from her hand. 

"You know, I liked the fact that you went through Wafa to get to me," Amal said bluntly, 

I looked over at her shocked, did Wafa tell her? "Excuse me?"

"Wafa thought she was being slick but she cannot lie to me," Amal said smiling, she kept her gaze foreward, "I know you probably asked her about the things I like, and what I prefer and she probably told you everything expects for the most important thing."

Furrowing my eyebrows I stopped the car as we reached my home, she only lived about ten minutes away from me. I fully turn my body towards her to prove that I am listening to her, "What?"

"I have cancer," Amal said emotionlessly. Her words began ringing in my ears, my heart began banging against my rib cage, and my hands began to shake. "Leukemia, I have been only given six months to live."

I kept quiet trying to process everything she had just said, "Um. . ." I say trying to gather my thoughts so I didnt seem like an asshole but nothing is coming up. I felt as if my mind had gone completely blank. The one girl that I truly had begun to fall in love with had to have such a morbid disease. I felt as if someone had shot me, but not with a lethal bullet, but a rubber one. Where I couldnt process what the hell was actually happening with me. . .I didnt know if I. wanted to cry, or scream or break down. Amal is the only girl to make me feel this way, to make me completely whipped. by her, and. . .she has cancer. I only have limited amount of time, with my potiential soulmate. 

Amal chuckled lowly, "I knew you wouldnt be able to take it, you are not the first guy to promise to stay by my side to Wafa, but I do not know what you said to her that actually made her take your seriously. I am dying Samar, you will never know when the last day will be with me, or when you will make your last memory with me. No man is able to handle that and-"

"I will." I cut her off quickly, wanting to salvage the little trust I had built with her over the past few days. One thing is for sure, this wasn't sided for me, I know Amal had some feelings for me, but now it was clear as to why she was so hesitant to say it. Amal looked at me in disbelief, "It doesnt matter if I get one day with you, one week with you, or one month with you Amal. . as long as I am with you."

"That is a lot easier said than done." She said, "You didnt even know what to say a few minutes ago!"

"I was processing!" I said raising my voice alittle and I still was, but I was not about to let Amal take this in her advantage to say no to me. Yes, this was a shock, yes there were going to be alot of barriers because of this but that didn't stop me from wanting to be with her. "Amal, you cannot expect me to just be okay with the bomb you just dropped but I do understand that it is out of your control." I try to defend myself, "I know we have just been talking for a week now, but I have had a crush on you longer than that. I think the second I set my eyes on you fell in love with you."

Amal fell silent, I reached over and grabbed her hand was covered with her dupatta, and saw that there was an IV attachment there. I lean down and kiss it, "Please," I say quietly, "Please, truly just give me a chance to prove it."

Amal's eyes filled with tears, "One chance," She whispered, "That's all you get."

I smile softly at her, "That's all I need." Finally! Finally, Amal was giving me a chance to prove to her that I was the person that she needed in her life. Her cancer was tragic but nothing was going to stop me from providing her the happiness that she deserves within the time she has left. I will love her, and cherish her, and all this is possible because of Wafa, I owe everything to her.

After a few minutes of sitting and talking to one another,  Amal and I walked in together letting her hand go I allowed her to join the group of girls and I stood beside Atif Bhai, I guess I had a goofy smile on my face because Atif Bhai gave me a weird look. "Tumhe kya hua hai?"  (What happened to you?) I had told her about Amal after the first dholki he had noticed us talking to each other almost the whole night.

"Amal said yes," I whispered, 

Bhai's eyes lit up in happiness, "That's awesome yaar!"  (Dude) He said enthusiastically, "Go tell your Mami now!"

"Not yet," There was a slight problem with telling her right now. First I need to impress Amal, then. I needed Amal to impress Amma, and then I could tell Amma about Amal's illness. There were a lot of steps that still needed to be followed before Amal and I could truly be happy together.  "Let me first impress her alittle more."

Bhai smiled shaking his head, "That will be easy, who will want to say no to that face?" Her, if I made one wrong move, then all the work Wafa and I put into making my one-sided love become a two-way streak, would all be gone.