Always Hers (43)

Samar's P.O.V.

Taking the thermometer out of Waliyah's mouth I checked the temperature, and it still was. really high still, "Abhi bhi bukhar hai," (She doesnt have a fever now) I say quietly, as Rukhsar Ammi smiles at us while feeding Amal soup. 

Waliyah leaned back, "I am fine."

I rolled my eyes, it was obvious she wasn't but the whole night she had been repeating this over and over again. "Shut up," Amal snapped at her, "Wafa, you do not  take care of yourself at all."  Her  gaze dropped to the floor, "At least let us take care of you,"

I held out some medication for her, that I asked the nurse last night. Waliyah wanted to leave. as soon as she opened her eyes this morning but Amal. insisted she stayed until she didnt. get another dose of her medications. Waliyah grabbed the pills and took them before standing up asking for permission to leave. "Abh mein jaoon?" (Can I leave now?)

Amal nodded, "Jao,"  (Go)  Waliyah walked over giving her a tight hug alongside Rukhsar Ammi, she barely made it an inch out of the room when Amal called her again, "Ek minute." (One minute)  Amal looked over at me, "Saad, please drop her off."

Waliyah and I looked over at each other, obviously not wanting to be around one another. "Amal-" Waliyah began but she shut her up with one look. I sighed grabbing my keys I gestured to her to walk ahead of me, reluctantly she did, and we walked to the car quietly. 

Waliyah got in the car, and began playing with her bracelet,  as I kept quiet. . . I pulled out of the driveway, and headed onto the main highway. . .my mind wandered back to what Amal had said to me last night. . .

"Check her fever again," Amal said worried sitting up in her bed,  doing as she told me I touched her forehead gently not wanting to wake her up. Amal scolded her and got her to settle down and. take medications when I had brought her in from the cold. Waliyah lay down and fell asleep a short. while later. 

"She is still alittle hot," I answered her, walking over I held her hand, "How are you?"

"Tired," She answered, 

"I know,"

"No," Amal whispered, "You do not know."

I tilt my head to the side curious, "What do you mean?"

"I am getting tired of fighting this Saad," Her words made me sit up alittle taller getting worried, 'I do not know how much longer I have, but I know that my death is coming. soon." 

"Amal please,"

"Consider this my last wish,"  Amal said shakily, "Please agree to it." She is talking about Waliyah and I's marriage. "I want to go in peace, knowing that the two most important people in my life are safe with one another."

I shake my head, "Amal I cannot-"

"Please," She whimpered as pain spiked in her stomach, "Mera liye,"

Holding my head in frustration, "Why are you being stubborn?"

"Because I know Wafa. . .I know she will be broken without me, and I know you. . ." Amal reached out to touch my cheek, "You will be broken too."  She wiped my tears away, "Broken people help heal one another. . .trust me."

My heart was reluctant, and so was my mind. . .but if this is what she really wants. . .for her. . .than what's another marriage. . .as long as she goes with content that the two of us are in safe hands.