Chapter 10: Invisible

You've been flying around the neighborhood hoping to find the winter spirit. But not really a spirit, Jack Frost as a mortal human. MiM also said that after a week, he will, or should I say, must die. You remembered something about what the young guardian told you when he retrieved his memory; and while fighting the Bogeyman. So you flew in a direction you're sure of and looked round.

"Forest… lake… log house…." You said to yourself repetitively.

Your son also helped while riding on your back. He stared cautiously here and there trying not to leave a single stone unturned. The only thing you can see was trees with snow and the ground was covered with white.

It's not even wet but more like frozen. Snow fell and the whole place just became more beautiful than earlier. Suddenly, you swooped down and your son held your shoulders tighter and buried his face in your back.

You landed softly and put the boy down gently. You took out your weapons and protected the boy while walking around. You can't put your guard down now. There's no guardians here to help you but surely there's a Nightmare King who can kill you and your son.

The young boy hugged your arm tightly and didn't let go. He felt scared and excited at the same time but unfortunately, his fear was taking over.

Both of you heard someone's footsteps and you abruptly brandished your weapons at different directions. After a few minutes, you heard a voice of a boy. A voice that you're very intimate with. You smiled widely and followed the sound.

Jef followed and stopped when you stopped. The young boy peeked carefully while hiding at your back and saw the young guardian. Yet he's not really Jack Frost just yet.

He was seen wearing a brown cloak, a white woolen shirt, and a small and brown open vest. He wore the same pants as seen in the present. He had warm brown hair and dark amber eyes, rather blushed cheeks and less paler skin.

You just want to give him a tight hug but that's just not possible, for now. He's still human and he can't see you. He still doesn't know the guardian angel but you're certain that he knows about the other guardians.

Jack's alone and he's carrying small logs maybe to bring it back home to his mother and little sister to give them warmth. They're not rich but not that poor either. He turned around and got surprised when he saw a little boy, that looks like him, with the same hair and skin color, staring at him with his terrified eyes. The first thing he noticed was Jef's clothes but the kid got used to it by now.

Jack put the logs down gingerly in the snow and walked towards the boy slowly while reaching out a hand. "Hey…" said Jack heartily and took a step closer. "What are you doing here kiddo?" he added.

Jef looked up to you and saw you looking back at him with a sweet smile. "He can't see me, Jef. Go and talk to him." You said and you let go of the boy's hands.

"What are you looking at little buddy?" asked the winter spirit, still reaching out a hand.

"No- nothing… sir." Said Jef rather unsure what he'll call the teen boy.

Jack laughed and knelt in the snow and put his arms on the kid's shoulders. "Don't call me sir kiddo. Call me Jack." He said with a grin.

"What about you? I can't just call you kiddo right?" he added and both of you laughed.

Jef stared at the ground and glanced at the young guardian and finally said his name, "My name's Jef."

Jack nodded and brushed the boy's brown hair and straightened. "Are you alone? Where's your parents? They must be worried sick searching for you. You're in the middle of the forest you see…" said Jack and gave him a smirk.