Chapter 15: Warm Winter

Both of you went back to the house and talked to each other on the way back. Suddenly, the young guardian heard his little sister's sweet voice. She shouted excitedly and gave his big brother a big hug.

"Morning little Pippa…" he said sweetly and carried the girl and kissed her forehead.

"Morning Jack!" responded his sister merrily, "Do you want to play with us?" she added.

"Where's Jef?" you asked Jack and he remembered that the girl can't see you yet.

"Sure. Uhmm Pippa, do you know where Jef is?" he asked and looked around to check for the boy.

"Jef? Oh right. He's over there, I was with him lately then I came here to check up on you." Pointed the sweet girl at a certain direction with a grin.

"Come on! I'll take you to him." She added excitedly and asked his brother to put her down.

You giggled heartily and followed the young guardian while he's being dragged by his lovely sister. At a distance, you can hear your son playing his flute. You thought that he left it back in the orphanage but obviously he didn't.

You closed your eyes and listened. The winter spirit's sister stopped and let go of her brother's hand when she saw Jef playing a relaxing melody with the instrument. The frigid wind blew but didn't affect any of them.

Your son didn't realize you're all there watching him from behind. You stared at the boy with your proud eyes and grinned with delight.

Jack noticed how you looked at the boy and realized how he meant to you. But he also noticed that you're looking at him like that sometimes. He blushed when he thought of this and stared at you secretly.

"Who are you looking at?" whispered the girl sweetly and looked up to her big brother.

"Oh… Uhm… nothing Pippa." Responded Jack and this got your attention.

"Don't let her see me." You said and gazed at the winter spirit who's looking back at you, "I don't want her to see me."

And with that, Jack felt confused about what you said. "How exactly will I die?" he thought. "And how does she know what will happen to me if it didn't happen yet?"

Your eyes were now affixed on your son while he's still playing with his flute. The music suites your worries and melted your heart. After a few minutes, the music has ended and then he can feel something watching him.

He turned around and saw you guys. His pale face turned red and hid his flute back in his shirt. Pippa asked him to play again but he said that he doesn't know anything else even though he has so many.

"No Pippa, I don't know anything else." Said Jef a couple of times.

"Then play it again!" insisted the girl with a light, cute laugh.

You giggled and winked at the boy. Glaring, Jef took out his flute and played another heartfelt song. It's like with his music, he's telling stories about things connected to the mood of the song and this time, it's in a lonely tune like he's dedicating it to his parents.

Your whole body trembled and the young guardian noticed. First, he told himself not to but he can't help it. Jack stood behind you and gave you a warm embrace with his frigid arms. You closed your eyes and enjoyed the moment.

When the song ended, your heart stopped and you opened your eyes and didn't realize that you cried. You quickly wiped it to hide it from Jef and grinned as like nothing happened.

"That was beautiful!" complimented Pippa politely and jumped with joy, "Are you a musician?"

"Wh- No." said Jef with a chuckle, "No I'm not. This is just my past time." He added,

"Well I think you should be in an orchestra and be the youngest musician!" said the girl and spun around.

You laughed quietly when you saw Jef having a good time with Jack's sister. Suddenly, you asked the young guardian to have some time with your son and he obeyed.

Pippa walked back home with his brother, leaving two of you behind. "That music is so beautiful Jef…" you murmured and planted a kiss on the boy's head.

"Thanks… I don't really know how I'm playing it though… I just followed my emotions." He explained but didn't gaze at you.

"Wanna tell me how your flute got here?" you asked curiously and moved closer to the kid.

At first he shook his head but when he felt you're still looking at him, he said, "The moon told me to…"

You got surprised and didn't know how to respond to this. MiM already planned it.

Silence fell and Jef was quiet for a while then he added, "The- the moon also- told me that… I must bring the dagger Santa gave."

"Do you have it with you right now?" you asked and put your arm around the boy's shoulder.

"Yes. The moon said that I suppose to have the dagger with me all the time." Said Jef as he lifted up hi right pant leg and took the weapon attached at the back of his ankle.

You stared at him and looked at the weapon when he reached it out to you. "Jef… tell me why did you go to the park in the middle of the night?"

Jef became silent for a while and then he breathed deeply and gazed at you, "I got woken up. I don't know what kept me up but every time I tried to go back to sleep, I hear a voice."

"A voice?" you repeated and the boy nodded.

"It's a man's voice but not a scary one. He's like talking to me softly and telling me what to do. I have no choice but to obey." The young boy continued and added, "He told me to wait in the park for you and few hours have passed, you're not still there. I felt scared and alone I yelled your name and saw you flying to me hurriedly."

He stopped and fondled his hands and said, "Ja- Jack told me… that if the moon speaks to me… I should listen."

You grinned and planted a kiss on the boy's head. Jef giggled and gave you a warm hug and murmured, "I'm still confused, (F/n)"

"Confused about what sweetheart?" you said cordially and glanced at the boy.

"About the situation I'm in. I've been asking myself lately… Why me?" responded the winter's son and stared at your dazzling blue eyes.

"Be- because…" you stammered and can't tell him the truth, "Because you're special dear and I want you to know that the one's talking to you was the man in the moon. He knows what he's doing and I think you'll know the answer when the time comes." You explained formally and brushed the boy's hair.

Jef nodded and didn't answer back. He rested his head on your chest and closed his eyes for a while. Suddenly, you heard footsteps from a distance and saw the winter spirit looking at the two of you.

"Am I interrupting?" asked Jack shyly and you shook your head with a grin.

"No…" you said simply.

"I think he's asleep." Said the young guardian and walked closer. "Maybe he got tired of running and playing." He added and chuckled.

Jack sat beside you and you can feel his brown eyes affixed on you but you didn't look up to him. The winter spirit brushed the boy's hair and touched your cold hands and said, "I'll carry him back to the house."

"Thanks, but I think I should build a shelter for him. I don't want you and your family to-"

"(F/n)…" he interrupted ad touched your cheeks, "I owe you and this boy a debt. It's right for me to let Jef stay." He added.

You nodded without saying a word and the young guardian carried the boy gently back to his house and put him in bed. Jack's mother just prepared for lunch and they all ate together merrily. You felt pity for them knowing that after a few days Jack won't be joining them. You know how it feels like to lose someone you cared and loved.

His sister, Pippa, loves his big brother so much. How will she handle it? She will be there when Jack will drown in that icy lake and you can't do anything about it. Instead, you might as well make Pippa forget about what he saw and when she woke up and thought that her brother's missing.

Still, that won't do good. So what can you do? "I hate choices…" you thought and looked at Jack and gave out a reluctant smile.