Chapter 17: Final Day

For the past four days, the winter spirit did nothing but to spend time with his family. He played with his sister, read stories to her every night and watch her sleep. Jack helped his mom in every way he knows and live every day like it will be the last but today, it IS his last day.

Jack's mom decided to take them somewhere and have a picnic in the winter forest. You knew what was going to happen after. You didn't tell this to Jack for his own good, if that's the right term you're searching for.

Pippa blissfully skipped to the venue and cheerfully helped her mother while your son and Jack prepared all of the delicious pastries and food on the picnic blanket that Pippa set up.

Jack's sister picked the place. It's surrounded with high pine trees covered with with frost and snow. The snow on the ground was about two feet deep. After setting up, Pippa excitedly threw herself in the snow and made a snow angel. Jef joined and they both laugh delightfully.

"There!" said Pippa with a sweet laugh. "Mine's bigger!" she added playfully.

"No it's not!" opposed the winter spirit's son. "Mine's bigger!"

Pippa's cheeks turned red and she scooped down trying to make a snowball. Two minutes have passed, and Pippa hasn't made a single snowball. Jef laughed mischievously as he pointed at her.

"Oh yeah!" yelled the girl and tossed her unfinished snowball on the ground. "Let's see you make one!"

Your son chuckled boastfully and swooped down to get some snow enough for him to make one snowball; And after a few seconds, he's all done.

"What were you saying?" asked the boy with an evil grin just like his dad's been doing.

Pippa blushed madly and didn't look at Jef. She crossed her arms and stomped away from him. All of you laughed while watching the two kids quarrel. After a few minutes,

"Oh I forgot something!" exclaimed their mother, "I have to run to the bakery for a while. I ordered a cake. Could you be a dear and look after for your sister while I'm gone, Jack?"

"Yeah sure mom. Oh, and always look for the signs I made. I don't want you to be lost again." Said the young guardian sweetly and gave his mom a hug.

"I can go!" suggested Jef while he raised his one hand joyfully.

Jack laughed as well as his mother. The winter spirit's mother treats Jef as part of the family. She now knew that your son was an orphan and wants him to stay with them. She even sometimes tell the kid that he exactly looks like Jack. The young guardian crouched down, paired with Jef's, and brushed the boy's brown hair.

"Do you know how to follow the signs kiddo?" asked Jack with a sweet grin.

"Sure!" responded Jef happily, "You taught me how remember?"

"I'm just making sure."responded Jack and pinched the boy's nose.

Your son giggled and shook his head as he laughed. Jack's mother and Jef left after leaving you, Jack and his sister alone; but before Jef left, you yelled, "Don't talk to him when you see him again."

Confused, your son stopped walking and glimpsed at you with his troubled face. You smiled at him and he gave a nod even though he's not sure what you meant.

"It's almost time…" you thought. You perched on a tree branch just below Jack and Pippa without them knowing. You don't want to join their gaiety laughs and talks since this was not a good time for you to smile and chuckle. The icy lake was visible from where you were and you've been staring at it for quite some time.