Chapter 48:The Truth

What is happening to her?" asked the winter spirit to his young son but, even Jef was speechless. He was staring at you the whole time and didn't leave by your side. Jef was holding your cold hand while his dad was walking across the room, thinking about something. North stopped the young guardian and Jack finally calmed down, for now. Tooth left, trying to look for answers, with Bunnymund. The cute, wee Sandman stood beside the young guardian's son. "What on earth was happening?" thought Jef. He gazed at your wrist and suddenly remembered the amber bracelet. "I need to give it to her." He whispered and Jack suddenly looked at his son. "The bracelet." Added Jef and looked at the winter spirit. "She needs it more than I do." "No." said Jack sternly. "She said­" "Well, I want to give it to her." Interjected his son. Jef was about to remove his bracelet but the Sandman touched his hands. The boy looked at Sandy's big, golden eyes and stopped removing the bracelet. "She can't just disappear." Continued Jef. "She won't." said North with a big grin even though inside, he doesn't know what to do. "We'll figure something out." Everyone left except for the two boys. They waited and waited but three hours have passed, you're still asleep. "What's going to happen, Jack?" Said Jef that broke the silence. "I have a hinch but, let's just hope I'm wrong." The elves brought food for the two but they didn't touch it. Suddenly, you tenderly gripped your son's soft hands and this enlightened Jef's face. "Sn­ Snowflake?" He whispered and you gripped his hands tighter. Jack quickly sat on the other side and brushed your hair. "Snowflake? What happened? We were worried sick." Said Jack in a comforting voice then, planted a kiss on your head. "I­ I don't know. I just... passed out. My head was dizzy, my sight was blurry. I'm running out of time." You stuttered and Jef gazed at the winter spirit with worry. "Don't say that. We'll figure this out then everything will be Ok. Hang on, alright?" encouraged the young guardian. First, your eye color changed then, your hair. But you feel something different that you haven't told them. You feel weak. You don't know if you have the strength to face Pitch again. You can feel your powers draining slowly. "You need to eat." Continued the young guardian. Jef ran to the others and said the not­so­good news. They all went to your room with a half smile on their faces. "How are you feeling dearie?" said the Tooth fairy with her sweet grin. "Not so good." You responded. "But I'll recover soon." Ashen suddenly appeared and this made everyone felt happier. Jef ran and swung his arms around the girl's neck. Ashen's pitch black eyes widened and felt warmth with the boy's embrace. "Finally, you came out!" shouted Jef and Ashen giggled lightly. "I'm sorry. I'm just... depressed." She whispered and stared at Jef's eyes. "How's snowflake? And what happened to her hair?" Jef explained everything and Ashen felt sorry for you. She also wanted to help and the two kids worked together to make you smile or laugh even just for a minute. They were asked again to stay in the living room, with a bunch of elves, while you, Jack and the big four talked privately. "Are you feeling better now?" asked Jef and Ashen just nodded her head. "I don't believe you." "Then why did you ask?" said Ashen angrily and crossed her arms. Jef chuckled and poked the girl's pale cheeks. The Nightmare princess blushed and avoided Jef's stare. "Come on. We're best friends. What's bothering you?" continued Jef. "It's nothing... really." She said with a grin. "I'm fine." The two kids saw the big four entering and Jef quickly stood up and talked to the man in the red suit. He was looking for his young dad and went to your room. He was about to turn the door knob when he heard you two talking. "I want to tell him about us." You said in a whisper. "I think it's time." "It's time? What are you saying? You're not well. It's not time. If you're thinking about telling him before you disappear, well that's not going to happen. You're going to be fine. You're going to hurt him. It's better if we tell him when everything is... well, when this is over." Said Jack. "But I am­" "Don't say it!" shouted Jack and Jef can hear a strong wind blowing inside but disappeared after a few seconds. "Don't say stuff like that." Added Jack in a softer voice. "You're going to be OK." "I­ I'm sorry. I­ I just want him to know so bad. I want him to know..." you muttered and hugged he winter spirit tightly. "He's our son. He's smart. He'll figure it out." That's when Jef walked away from the door. His heart raced, his whole body shook and his lips widened. The winter spirit son was not sure if he heard it right but, this was the second time. "I'm their son..." he said and bent his head. His hands clutched and trembling. Ashen came and saw her best friend have trouble. She touched his shoulders but there was no response. "Jef... what happened." Muttered Ashen. Jef murmured and the girl didn't quite understand what he said. The winter spirit's son gazed at his best friend with his serious face. Ashen felt something bad happened so, she suddenly felt worried and nervous. "What is it?" "I'm...." stammered Jef and this sent Ashen to the edge. "You're what?" responded the Nightmare Princess while shaking her best friend. "I'm... their son... " he finally said... with a big grin on his face.