Chapter 36: Mystery Girl

Night fell and the place became more frigid. Jack Frost and Jef stopped by a cave to take a rest. Neither of them felt cold but the young boy was feeling hungry. Luckily, he brought fruits for back up. He started to eat and gave an apple to the winter spirit but got neglected.

Jack watched the kid and grinned. They both sat with their backs rested on the wall of of the cave. When Jef had finished, the boy laid down on the young guardian's lap. Jack brushed his hair gently and felt something different.

Since he accidentally said the boy's name, a heap of questions popped in his mind. Frost, his last name is Frost.

"Why is that?" asked Jack to himself. Fortunately, your kid was already in slumber. Jack doesn't need to sleep. He would if he wanted to but this night, he spent his time thinking about you and Jef.

He felt something strong between you and him, he just can't figure it out. He glanced at the mouth of the cave and sighed deeply.

The next morning, the young guardian could see drops of water flowing down the icycles. The sunlight went through it and hit the boy's pale-ish face.

Jef opened his eyes slowly and hugged the winter spirit's lap tighter. Jack blinked and gazed at the boy. He noticed that he's already awake. His son sat up and rubbed his sleepy eyes.

Jef stretched wide and yawned madly while doing this. He shook his head and brushed his dark brown hair.

The winter spirit chuckled while watching him. Jef looked around and stood up. Jack followed and they both left the cave.

"North's place is not far away from here. Wanna walk or fly?" asked Jack while looking at the boy.

Jef was eating an apple and didn't notice the young guardian's question. Jack tapped the boy's head and got Jef's attention.

"Wh- what?" stuttered your son and fixed his eyes on Jack.

"I said, North's place is not far from here. You wanna walk or fly?" repeated his young dad.

"Uh… walk. I would rather walk. Like she has to go somewhere." Suggested Jef and took a bite of his apple.

Jack uttered a light laugh and brushed the boy's hair. Walking through the forest, the place seemed calm and quiet. A few moments later, Jef heard someone cry. A girl's cry.

He looked around but didn't see anyone. He shrugged his shoulders and continued. The noise went on and your son stopped. Jack passed by Jef. He stopped and gazed at the boy.

"What's wrong?" asked the winter spirit in a hushed voice and grasped his staff tightly.

"I- I thought… I heard something." Whisepered Jef back. They both didn't budge and listened.

The winter spirit's son heard it again. He took out his flute but didn't know why he did it. Jack glanced with a curious smirk on his face.

"Uh… Why are you… er… holding your flute?" asked Jack and his son also gazed at his instrument.

"I- I don't know… I just did." He said sheepishly and stared at it. "

They looked at each other and nodded. They walked gingerly and followed the sound. Jack was walking behind Jef. The young guardian brandished his staff whenever he'll hear something from a specific direction.

Jef gasped when he saw a girl, maybe has he same age as him or even a year younger, with black hair, wearing only a long brown dress with black cloak on top. She's seemed crying for help but she's too weak. Jef hurriedly knelt beside the girl and rested her head on his lap.