Chapter 30: Nightmare

It's already midnight and the winter spirit's son continually repositioning himself in his sleep. He's having a nightmare. At first, he saw a beautiful maiden, that might be his mother, looking at him. Jef can't see her face clearly for it was blurred. No matter how hard he's trying, he can't see her mother's lovely face.

Jef also dreamt of the blue rattle with snowflakes and frost that he saw in the attic. He was holding it and shaking it. He can hear the rattle's magical sound and also heard his own baby laugh. Jef can hear voices but not rather audible. It seemed so familiar to him he just can't really tell.

Her mother carried him slowly and muffled him with her protective arms. He saw a boy behind her mom with his chin propped on her shoulder. That boy was also looking at him. Jef thought that he might be his father.

"Mom, dad… is that you?" whispered Jef in his sleep.

The dream continued. His dad, young dad rather, touched his small hands and Jef firmly grasped it. His young dad chuckled and said, "You're pretty strong Jef… "

"Just like you." his mom said softly and both of them laughed.

Suddenly, the dream interchanged. A few moments ago, it was a quite beautiful dream but it switched into a nightmare. Jef can see he was being taken away but have no idea where. It was dark and cold. The next thing he saw was her mother's face wet with tears.

She was hushing him and singing him a lullaby to make him stop crying. The maiden kissed his forehead and murmured, "Be good now Jef. We will always be there for you."

"No… mom… do- don't go… don't le- leave me." Cried the winter spirit's son.

In his dream, her mom kissed his soft cheek and left. Jef can hear himself crying. His surrounding darkens and Jef shouted for help but no one came.

"Jef…" a voice said and this was the same voice he heard from her mother. "Jef…"

"Don't leave me… Don't leave me!" yelled your son and quickly woke up. He saw you in front of him trying to wake him up and you succeeded . Jef abruptly sat up and hugged your neck tightly.

You hushed the boy and kissed his forehead. The young guardian rubbed the boy's back gently and calmed him down.

"I'm right here…" you said heartily and ran your fingers through his brown hair. "I'm right here."

"I- I'm scared…" stuttered the boy.

"It's just a nightmare…" comforted Jack, "It can't hurt you."

You smiled and planted a kiss on the boy's head. You hummed a song to your son and you quickly sent him into slumber.

You lay him down in the snow gently and watched him sleep. The young guardian stared at you and said, "Do you know what happened to his parents?"

It took you a few minutes to respond. You gazed at him serenely and said, "No… I don't."

There's a rather confusing situation happening at North's place since the Toothfairy arrived. She explained everything to the leader that sent him searching for answers. He also called the other two guardians and they both arrived there just in time.

They don't know what's going on. There's a boy, a mysterious boy who just appeared out of of Tooth's forms, that found Jef's tooth, has a vivid information about the boy. It didn't look at Jef at that time for it was too excited for the boy's snowy tooth.

"So you're saying that this boy doesn't really exist?" asked North with his Russian accent while stroking his long grayish beard.

"That's not what I'm saying." Said Tooth politely, "He's already seven years old and I have only one tooth of his. Also I checked for his records… I found nothing." She explained formally.